First date jitters (20)

Chapter twenty: Jitters and awkward chatter:

I'm not freaking out, I'm not freaking out, I'm not freaking out...

Okay, maybe I was freaking out a tiny bit.

I had twenty minutes to get ready and I was losing it majorly. My hair, thankfully was still in a pineapple puff from this morning, but I had no idea what to wear. I didn't even know where we were going, which would've helped, but Chris claimed it was a 'surprise'. I groaned. I didn't know if I should go casual in jeans and a T-shirt or if I should pick a dress.

I groaned and leaned against the wall. "VERONICCCA!" My mom called. "YEAH?" I heard her clomp up the stairs and she pushed open my door. "What are you doing?"

I looked up. "Getting ready for my date." She raised an eyebrow. I cursed myself, realizing I hadn't told her about my break up. She gave me a look.

"What happened to Antonio?"

"We broke up."

I watched her face. She looked more guilty than anything. She shifted her weight to the other foot. "I can't say I'm not happy about that. You know how your dad and your sister feel about him...quite frankly, I think he's an ass." I blinked then we both burst out laughing.

"What are you sitting there for? Don't you have a date? She flipped the light on to my closet and went in, I heard her flipping through my clothes. She came out of the closet holding two hangers.

On the right was an Olive green sweater dress, on the left were black leggings. It was the perfect outfit, causal and dressy at the same time. I smiled. "Come on! Get dressed. And Veronica," She pointed a finger at me. "I better meet this young man soon." She left, leaving me to feel some type of way.

I stood up and shed my comfy attire and got dressed. God, it'd been so long since I'd gone on a real date, not to mention that my last relationship haden't ended pleasantly...

He's not Antonio. I told myself firmly. I put my earings in and found my flats. Grabbing a purse, I pulled out my phone and fiddled with it while I was waiting. I felt really jittery and nevous, which was weird because I shouldn't be. I'd already kissed the guy, why was I freaking out?

I needed to get it together.

My phone buzzed, startling me out of my thoughts. I'm outside. I shifted my purse to my other shoulder. I went down the stairs as fast as I could without injuring myself. I stood at the door, heart racing. I wiped my sweaty hands on my leggings and then pulled open the door. Chris's car sat at the edge of driveway.

I quickly ran over to the car, trying to ignore my heart beating up my ribs. I opened the car door. "Hey," I mumbled. I buckled my seat belt. After a few minutes of silence I said, "You want to tell me where we're going...?"

"Nope." He said popping the 'p'. "It's a surprise." I sighed and reached for the radio knob. Flipping the volume up, I couldn't help but snicker. "Why is this on the rap station?" I cocked an eyebrow in his direction.

His lips twitched lightly. "Why not?"

I snorted. "So this is a date, right?"

"Well I hope it is, because I'd rather you didn't friendzone me again. Not to mention all the kissing..." It was a damn good thing you can't see red cherries on dark chocolate, because my face was on fire. I did friend-zone him directly once, it would figure that it had the opposite effect. "Judging from the look on your face, I would say yes, yes this is a date."

"Someone's in a good mood." I said, trying to redeem myself. "Like, a really good mood." He gave me a rare goofy smile, which me made me involuntarily smile.