Part 20; Hush now , Maybe It Was A Bad Dream

Charlotte was on the verge of tears by the time he had slipped his right hand inside her sweater and was feeling his way up toward her breasts.

Her distress was visibly increasing by the minute, her features were tense.

-

Unexpectedly something within him changed; he was touched by the way in which she had surrendered to him by letting her arms fall to her sides, trying as best she could to deal with the situation.

Her eyes were closed and she was whimpering softly.

The movements of his hand became gentler until they slowed to nothing more than a soft caressing of skin.

With his left arm he pulled her head into his chest, and with time Charlotte calmed herself, her breathing falling into rhythm with the stroking movements of his hand.

"Hush now," he said, gathering himself, "everything's going to be alright."

He felt like a schizophrenic. Everything had been planned out so carefully, and now he was in the midst of tearing these plans apart, rapidly distancing himself from the results he had been working so hard to receive.

He wondered to what extent Charlotte's trust had been compromised. He looked down at her face, her eyes were closed and he could feel that she was drifting off to sleep. The stress must have exhausted her.

Chastising himself for having been so rash and impulsive he reached up to stroke her cheek. Sleepily she opened her eyes for a moment. He smiled at her warmly and the eyes closed again.

The two of them lay like this for a while: Charlotte fast asleep in his arms while he contemplated the consequences of his actions.

Eventually he picked Charlotte up and gently moved her so that she was lying on her pillow. He covered her with a blanket and pulled the curtains shut before leaving to brush his teeth.

Afterwards he returned to Charlotte's room and slipped into bed beside her. She was fast asleep on her side with her back facing him, he pulled her closer and locked his arms around her. She didn't stir.

Her skin had felt so soft, he clenched his teeth at the proximity of her body, regretting the opportunity he had missed that day. It had been too soon. And, even though he had adored the expression of suffering her face had offered him, and the tortured little sounds her mouth had made, he knew he would have to wait a little longer.

In the morning he would brush the events of the evening off as a harmless act of intimacy, and he would praise Charlotte for having reacted so well, maybe take her to see the horses to take her mind off things.

As these thoughts gained in plausibility he was pleased to acknowledge that he no longer considered his rough approach toward Charlotte a mistake. She was in his care, he could do as he liked, he would not encounter consequences whereas if she made a mistake he could punish her as he saw fit and still she would have to stay.