Chapter 13: Bad luck?

Maryl

How strange. I haven't seen Demeter yet and it's almost time for first period. Then again, Demeter's never late so she might come at the very last minute.

"Ok, everyone, good morning."

Never mind, our teacher just came. But she really could just be late. We just wait and see. Just wait and see...

...

OK, its already the end of second period and Demeter isn't here. Where could she be? Is she sick or something? She did get unexpectedly caught with a fever and I'm the one who accompanied her before in the past. But then that worries me! She would've passed on a message or something! Or at least should've...

"Hey, Nhicola?" I called out to her during lunch.

"Yeah?" Nhicola answered indifferently while eating her lunch.

"Do you know why Demeter is absent today?"

"I don't know. Do you know Trixie?" She turned to the girl she was sitting right next to.

"How could I when I was in the lounge the whole time, remember?" Trixie replied with a somewhat harsh tone that would've affected Maryl, but she was used to Trixie's harsh tone, so it was OK for Trixie to use the harsh tone.

"Maybe Marga knows something. She looked quite grim today." Nhicola said with her mouth a bit stuffed.

"Then let's go to her right now!" I didn't care about the food, its from the staff anyway. I got up and quickly head to the area where I know Marga usually eats lunch.

"Wait! Maryl!" I heard them call after me, but I didn't look back.

After sprinting for a few seconds, Nhicola and Trixie join me by the sides and we soon reach the spot.

"I swear, you are so persistent." Trixie exclaimed as soon as we stop.

"Thank you." She was complimenting me, right?

"Oh, hi guys!~" A sickly-sweet voice calls out to us. A sickly-sweet voice that could only come from a sickly-sweet person.

There, sitting in a corner, Ruka, Marga, and Rosanne are having lunch.

Rosanne is anorexic, but she's also quite the actress, so it sometimes makes me think of her as a compulsive liar instead of anorexic, but I shouldn't judge, after all, I judge myself a lot. Just look at all my flaws.

Ruka has depression. She already has so many cuts and scars on her arms, legs, and necks. But I guess you call that more of suicidal.

As we reach the corner table, I couldn't help but notice Rosanne's face changed a bit to a look of disdain and annoyance. But she quickly dropped it and returned to a neutral face while eating her food, her gaze cast down.

Did I do something wrong?

But I quickly dismissed the question when I remembered what I came here for.

"Marga!" I shouted a loud. "Where's Demeter?"

"In one of the special rooms." She answered so casually, not even batting an eyelash.

"Why?"

"She lost her bear and went crazy."

"Huggie?" Nhicola questioned, referring to the name of Demeter's bear.

"Yup." Marga replied while drinking her water.

"Can we at least visit her or something?" Trixie asked with her arms crossed.