Chapter 5: Curiosity

Nhicola

If only Trixie didn’t step on my foot we would’ve never had that useless fight! Sometimes I think I would’ve preferred going back to my old home―no, I won’t. This place is still better than that home that provided me nothing but orders and responsibilities that shouldn’t even go to me.

 I stopped walking and I just kept on looking at the ground. Trixie’s one of my best friends and all, but it seems that we’re the ones that get into petty fights most often.

Then again… I pity my younger sisters, I’m the oldest and I definitely should look out for them, but what the heck did they do for me?! They always relied on me and only thanked me for a few times! But then my stupid parents will most likely make them do the horrible chores…  but I’m still―

“―A mystery. It’s still a mystery on who this killer is.”

That voice… Demeter?

I stopped by the window of the first classroom on the third floor. I took a careful peek and saw Demeter in the first section classroom talking with a guy I’ve never seen before.

“Well, at least your dorm is more organized than mine. Most of the guys are in complete panic and even shutting themselves, I almost think they’re going to go into hibernation.” The guy commented.

“That’s what you think. The girls are panicking more than you think. Two people died, both girls, both 2nd years.” Demeter replied. “Even my roommate is making sure I lock the door extra tight.”

Who is this guy? I’ve never seen him before yet he’s obviously from the school. And why are they talking like detectives trying to solve a case or something?

“So… when do you think the next attack will come?”

Demeter doesn’t answer, but her face shows that she has a lot in mind. Her eyes look directly into the guy’s eyes, she shows no emotion and her hands are behind her back.

“Well, the murderer already claimed two victims in just two days. He’ll lay low for a while, and there won’t be another murder tomorrow.” She said it so calmly.

Demeter was saying it so calmly because of her logic. It's a bit hard to explain but it's like her logical reasoning helps her get through tough times, even when she finds herself in a sticky situation, she uses her logic to help her get out. Even if it doesn’t help her in things like tests, she still gets a passing score and sometimes is able to tell what’s going to happen.

And… all I have is―

“What do you mean?”

“Think about it. If the killer is going to take another strike, he won’t be able to do it right away. For one thing, since everyone knows about the deaths, everyone is going to be more closed off; they’re going to be more aware― cautious. And since we have the staff and police investigating now, he’ll have to be extra careful. Unless he’s hiding in a place no one will find out, and he’s already executing his plan for the third death, there won’t be another murder for now.”

The guy was smiling, as if intrigued. “How do you know it’s just one killer? Don’t you think it could be two killers just having grudges against those who died?”

“I don’t. It could be two different people with different goals, or… it could even be two or more people working together for the same goal.” I shuddered. The thought of that, it just literally sent shivers up my spine! I realized my hands were clenched into fists. “But it’s just a theory, and we all know not all my theories come true.”