Chapter 20: Apologies

Olivia

The world can die for all I care.

Those damn politicians and their fake promises can go hang themselves.

All those pretentious families can go jump off a bridge and I still wouldn't care.

And that damn killer, whoever she or he is... oh how I want to be the one to kill him or her.

It's been a week at least since Marga's first visit. She hasn't come since. But I'm starting to care less and less. Ever since she told me about Rosanne's death, I've begged the teachers to let me see Rosanne, even if it's just her corpse.

But did they let poor, little, grieving Olivia do that?

Noooooooo!

Apparently being isodated prevents me from seeing any of my friends... dead or alive.

And that's not the only shit I have to deal with.

I'm forced to take all this stupid medicine that they mix in with my food. So not only am I eating dull food, I'm eating stupid worthless medicine food.

Which is why my head feels like a pogo stick, jumping from one thought to another, thus leaving some dizziness and I could tell a headache is coming--

Two knocks from the door.

"You have a visitor." He's the same guy that said the same words when Marga visited.

He said I have a visitor...

Marga?

The door opened as I hoped it'd be someone who'd tell me what's happening in the outside world. Maybe the hobo society really did come! Or maybe it's Marga and she's come to tell me good news--then again there's never any good news here.

But instead of a hobo or Marga, or even possibly hobo Marga, it's Demeter.

"Olivia!" She cried out my name as she hugged me.

"Demi!" I also cried out her name. I also would've hugged her, if it wasn't for this stupid straightjacket!

She stopped hugging me but her hands rested on my shoulders, as she looked at me all over. "It feels like I haven't seen you in forever!"

Even though I'm sure I've only been here for weeks, I feel the same. "I know! How are things?"

She sat down cross-legged in front of me, and gave a sad smile as she sighed. "Things are fine. How about you?"

Fine. Fine... Fine. That word is contradicting everything that Marga told me. She must know about Rosanne's death. But I thought the detectives forbade her from seeing anyone. Heh, its like she's the fragile princess or something that has to be watched all the time.

"Well aside from this straightjacket and disgusting medicine food, I'm good!" Though I know I didn't lie, it somehow feels like one.

"Good. I was worried."

Then I saw the look. It's the same look I see on Demeter's face everytime she has something to say. She looked away too, which could be a bright neon sign saying 'WARNING! WARNING! DANGER! DANGER!' Heh, I suddenly get an image of the pelicans from Nemo saying that.

Wait a minute, if any animal should be credited for building stuff, then beavers should have shelves and shelves of trophies! They build dams, and... I'm sure there are other stuff! They always talk about deers in the headlight, but what about beavers in the headlights? They always had a funny face, so why not a beaver in the headlights?