Chapter 1

Ivy's P.O.V

"Ivy! Breakfast!" My mother called from the kitchen. The clattering and the clinking of plates did not make it any easier for me to procrastinate getting out of bed; it was the first day of elementary school and I was not planning on being early.

I heard the front door open and my mum greeting the unknown guest warmly, "Go ahead, she's right upstairs." I hear her finish, knowing she is referring to me. Soon I hear light footsteps climbing up the narrow staircase and bursting through the door comes my 12 year old best friend; Calum Thomas Hood.

"Ivyyyy wake uppppp!" he whines as he sees I'm still in bed. I cover my face with the sheets, "Nooooooo." I say mocking his tone.

"Don't make me, Clark." he says lowly. Within a second I understood exactly what he meant.

"You wouldn't dare, Hood." I say uncovering one eye from the sheets to glare at him. I regretted the words as soon as it left my mouth because not long after they were said I had a skinny 12 year old tickling me to the very deaths on my very tiny queen-sized bed.

"Calum! Calum stop! I say through fits of giggles. "ARE YOU GONNA WAKE UP IVY? ARE YOU REALLY?" he yells tickling even harder and laughing probably at the face I was making. "YES! YES, I PROMISE!" I yell back, still in uncontrollable laughter.

And slowly he let's go of my waist and lies down next to me as he recovers from all the laughter, still breathing like he'd just run a mile.

A few seconds of our recovery passed and we were now breathing as per usual, "That was fun." he says then turns his head towards me. "Yes, yes it was." I say smiling as I turn to look at him. We just stared at each other for a while, something that happened quite often. He would look at me with those warm brown eyes I have always loved and I would stare aimlessly back at him. It was how we connected. We've always been close and all but there was something special. Something really special.

He broke the eye contact by flickering his eyes down to my lips, then back to my eyes. then he did it again, my lips, my eyes. And for the third time, his eyes stayed lingering on my lips for longer than usual. All I could do was stay frozen while I die inside. Was he going to kiss me? I don't know.

"You should probably get ready." he whispers as he moves a little bit closer to me, his eyes being dragged to his toes. I sighed and got out of bed, leaving Calum by himself amongst the messed up sheets. I gathered my clothes and brought them with me to the bathroom.

I slowly peeled off my PJ's and put on the school uniform. It was a green skirt with a white polo shirt and of course the school logo on the left side of the shirt. I have always wondered why it was that side. Maybe it's just a mystery no one can answer. I love mysteries, they always gave me a rush, you know?

Like why leaves turn brown, or why your hair grows after being cut... Everything was just a mystery no one had ever bothered to think about.

I snapped out of my wandering mind and walked over to the sink. Applying toothpaste on my toothbrush, I began brushing - not too surprising, I know.

I rinsed my mouth and dried it, gliding my tongue across my braces. I then picked up the brush, attempting to tame my mess I call hair. Soon it calmed down enough for me to tie into my usual high pony tail.

I finally took a good look into the mirror. All I saw was a typical schoolgirl with her metal smile framed with pink, small pouted lips, and her brown-gold hair held high, with a naive look in her smokey eyes. "This is as good as it's gonna get." I mentally comment.

There was a knock on the bathroom door as Calum strides in. "Ready?" he asks, looking at me through the mirror. "Well, this is as good as it's gonna get." I say out loud this time, turning around with an added sigh.