Winter in Rivendell

Later that day, the Hobbits invited me to their own meeting in Bilbo's room. We all sat on the ground in a circle, I had no knowledge why they invited me. 

"It's most unfair," said Pippin. "Instead of punishing Sam for sneaking in, Elrond goes and rewards him for his 'skill in hiding'."

"Why did he have to be chosen on being Frodo's companion?" Merry pouted.

"Sam is a dear friend of Frodo's. Elrond knew that. It'd be strange not to." I said.

"But he SNUCK in!" Pippin repeated.

"Yes, but only because he doesn't go anywhere without Frodo." I added in.

"Why are you on his side?" Pippin asked.

"Well why are you not on his side?" Frodo answered for me.

"Thank you." I turned towards him.

"The point is, we are envying Sam because when he goes with Frodo to Mordor, they'll just leave us here in Rivendell." Merry said. "We have all been through stiff times together, and we want to go on."

"That's what I meant," Pippin nodded. "Us hobbits stick together, I shall go, even if they chain me up! Besides, they need people of intelligence on this trip."

"Then you definitely won't be chosen Peregrin Took." Gandalf said.

"And stop worrying. Nothing is even decided yet!" I exclaimed.

"NOT DECIDED?!?" Pippin jumped up. "Then what were you doing in there?! Sitting around staring at each other?!"

"We were talking." Bilbo said calmly. "Just talk. But nothing was decided other than choosing Frodo and Sam."

"But haven't they already sent out scouts?" I asked turning towards Gandalf.

"Yes," said the wizard. "Some of the scouts have been sent out already. More will go tomorrow. Elrond is sending Elves, and they will get in touch with the Rangers, and maybe with Thranduil's folk in Mirkwood. And Aragorn has gone with Elrond's sons. We shall have to scour the lands all round for many long leagues before any move is made. So cheer up, Frodo!" Frodo jumped at his remark. "You will probably make quite a long stay here."

"Probably will last till winter." I sat with my chin resting on my palm. It was strange not having Aragorn around.

"I am afraid it will," said Gandalf. "We can't start until we have found the riders."

"I thought they died it the flood," said Merry. To get to Rivendell quickly, Glorfindel crossed over a flooded river, where the riders were washed away.

"You can't kill Ringwraiths like that," I said. "Their master is inside of them. It'd take a lot more than just a wave of water to get rid of them."

"Now, Frodo. Someone said that the company would need great intelligence, at that I will go with you on the journey." Gandalf announced as he stood up. "Which reminds me, I need to speak with Elrond." And with that he left.

"Okay, who's ready for a whole winter in Rivendell?" I said sarcastically.

"Yay..." The hobbits whirled their fingers in the air with not much enthusiasm.

"That's actually good news for me," said Bilbo. "Now I can finish my book, or start a second. Thought of any endings Frodo?"

"Yes, several of them. All dark and unpleasant." Frodo replied. I laughed out loud.

"Well that won't do any good!" Bilbo cried. "Books should have good endings!"

"I know of plenty books with sad endings." I looked at Bilbo. "Like Romeo and Juliet... or Where the Red Fern Grows."