Chapter 10: Red Herring for Dinner

I head down to dinner exactly on time. I am not prepared for what I see. It's a letter, open. A red candle is dripping wax. The stamp sits next to it. Mrs. Chagney steps into the room. I look up at her, demanding an explanation. She doesn't look flustered, or angry. I am just confused. I know the ghost is real. How could she be behind the letters.

"Well, I guess the game's up. Now that you know there's no mystery you can leave."

I stare at her. I can't believe this. I stay, "I know you're not behind all of this."

The color drains from her face. "Go home. It is not safe for you. I saw... your head."

"That was my own fault, I tripped."

Now she's angry. "You may think it was an accident. That's the way he normally works. He may have even been nice to you afterwards."

Now, I'm really confused. This has happened before. I know Erik was telling the truth. Maybe she'd spent too long living in fear of the phantom. "I'm pretty sure that's not the case here. Why did you pretend to do the letters?"

"I hoped if I let you expose me as a hoaxer you might leave- might be safe."

"I'm not leaving until this myth is debunked. I'm seeing it through to the end."

"Very well, then. You must let me know before you go anywhere with him."

Grudgingly, I agree.