Liam

"Everyone, this is Madyson."

"Hello. It's nice to meet all of you." I awkwardly wave to each smiling face staring back at me.

"Liam, she is exquisite!" His mother glides elegantly across the room to embrace me in a warm and welcoming hug.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Ruth shouts as she nudges Nicola.

"It's compli...."

I interrupt Liam before he can finish answering, "Yes. I am his girlfriend."

A quick glance at Liam allows me to view a grin that I thought would never return. A part of him I missed for a while, and possibly a piece of Liam I stoled.

She is gasping, "I knew it! Since when? Liam, why haven't you told the family?"

"Leave them alone. They just got here." Nicola attempts to grab Ruth's hand, but her sister is quick to dodge her grip.

"Ignore them pumpkin. Are you hungry? I made dinner."

"Yes. Please."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ 

"You're very young. How did you two meet?" Ruth asks as she scoops a spoonful of mash potatoes onto her plate.

I begin to speak when Liam shakes his head. "I couldn't take my eyes off her, at that moment that I first saw her, I was consumed with her beauty. Madyson's personality was intoxicating, and when we first met, I never wanted to let her go..."

"That's not how I remembered it," I chuckle. I start to feel more comfortable, at home even, as I joke. The smile across my face becomes genuine, and not mechanical.

I think back to when I first met Liam, and how I demanded that he tell me his problem. How I kneed him in the groin, and how his kiss brought heat to my cheeks. But more than anything, I became fixated on the moment Liam told me he loved me, the moment everything changed.

I found Liam staring at me as I poured vegetables onto my plate. "That's exactly how I remembered it."

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

After taking a shower and quickly getting dressed for bed, I wait patiently in Liam's room. To past the minutes, I brush the tips of my fingers on every wall and furniture made visible from the dim street light outside his window. I observe each thing with intense interest and find that I am entertained by how the condition of the inanimate objects- a wooden desk, chairs, drawers- are worn, collecting dust, and preserving many past memories (I presumed). When I arrive at his messy taupe colored bed, I immediately notice a scatter of papers protruding from the sheets. Anxiously pacing and contemplating for a while, I decide whether I could/should peek at the untidy bed before me.

"Are you okay?" Liam asks as he enters the room behind me. He comes closer to wrap his arms around my torso. He slowly pushes aside a strand of hair lying on the nape of my neck and gently kisses the exposed skin.

"Why do you have so many papers on your bed?" In his arms, I turn to face him.

His face grows red, and his body becomes slightly tense as he replies, "Those are songs I wrote... Some... Mainly all of them are about you... I had a lot of free time when I got back from tour."

Without being aware, I quickly push him away. I am embarrassed for some reason I do not know myself. "Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't want to go through your things... I just couldn't get the papers out of my head. I mean what they were. I was curious, I guess."

Because I was too ashamed to look at him, I instantly search for something to focus on the floor.

With his pointer finger, he lifts up my chin, so that I met by his loving gaze. "Don't be sorry. I am madly in love you, and I would gladly offer everything that is mine to you."