11. Punishment

-Michael's POV-

After what felt like hours of creating my stupid resumé, Ivy and I had finally finished. It was pretty good considering neither of us really had any job experience. The only thing we've done is volunteer for an animal shelter.

"Well, looks pretty good to me." Ivy spoke as she leans back in her chair.

"Yeah, I think I have a shot." I answer with a shrug. "I mean, even if I don't get the job it's not the end of the world."

"Yeah but it would be so awesome if you could get the job!" Ivy exclaims. 

"It would, wouldn't it?" I feel myself smile but I try to not get my hopes up considering this looks like the job will have some pretty tough competition. 

"Guess we'll just have to wait and see." Ivy says with a sigh. "Anyway, I should probably head home. Don't forget to send this in and make sure you tell me if you get the job!" 

"Alright. And hey, thanks for your help. It means a lot." I say with a grin. "You're an awesome friend."

"I think you mean BEST friend. Like c'mon, Clifford." Ivy says.

"that's the second time you've said that to me in one day." I laugh.

"Shut up. I'm out. Bye!" She shouts as she basically runs out my door. What a weirdo. I'm glad she's my friend though. Oh, excuse me. I meant to say best friend. I turn back to my laptop and figure I should send in the resumé before I forget and Ivy kills me.

"There. Now I just have to wait." I say to myself. I hear my bedroom door open and see my mom walking in.

"Hey Mikey. Just wanted to check up on you - oh. Did Ivy leave?" 

"Yeah. I guess she was in a hurry and didn't have time to say bye." I say trying to dismiss Ivy suddenly leaving. 

"Oh alright. How did things go?" she asks.

"Pretty good. I sent in my resumé for a job." 

"That's great hon! Are you-uhm...Going back to Luke's?" she asks timidly. My mom gets really nervous when she talks about the whole "Luke subject". Even though I've told her to not worry and things are okay she always gets nervous. That's normal though, I suppose. 

"I was thinking about it. Why?" I wonder.

"It's just that your father and I have been missing you. We've hardly seen you since you've moved in with Luke. He's a nice man and everything but he's just quite a bit older than you-"

"Mom." I cut her off. "We've talked about this. We're only 5 years apart."

"Yes, but you're 18. It would be different if you were 20 and he were 25." She tries to argue but I'm not having it.

"Mom, I love him. Please don't try to come between us." I say quietly. She looks at me with sad eyes but sighs.

"I'm sorry. If you love him then who am I to say you shouldn't be together. I may not agree with it but if he makes you happy then I guess I'm happy too." She says with a tight smile.

"Thank you." I simply reply. I turn away and she takes that as her cue to leave. I hear my door shut and I sigh heavily. I just need Luke right now.

-

I wake up confused and groggy. I rub my eyes trying to get them to adjust to the darkness of the room. I glance and around and see my clock reads 12:23am. I guess I fell asleep. 

"Shît!" I whisper-yell and dash for my phone. I see a bunch of missed calls and texts from Luke. "He's going to be so pissed." I groan lightly and debate on whether I should call him. It's pretty late and he probably wouldn't be too happy if I woke him up. I decide on texting him instead.