05 | his muse

Sex and art are the same things.

ASHTON STARES AT RIA, waiting for her to speak as her mouth opens and closes repeatedly

ASHTON STARES AT RIA, waiting for her to speak as her mouth opens and closes repeatedly. He blinks.

Is she okay?

"Ria?" he asks again.

"You're an artist!" she blurts and throws an accusing finger at him.

"I know..." His eyes flick towards the painting she was admiring; the painting of her, a woman who carves atrocious memories into his soul. With a grimace, he tears away from the bleak image.

"I-I mean, I figured you were. I just didn't expect you to set me up like this." She holds what can only be a portfolio tightly under her arm and scowls at him — or at least tries to. The expression is more adorable than anything.

"I didn't set you up," he says evenly, pretending that her presence hasn't stirred excitement throughout his entirety. "Why would you think that?"

"Because!" She steps forward, right under an isolated light, revealing more of her face. "You told me about the gallery, but failed to tell me you work here. You could have at least mentioned you were an artist."

Ashton shrugs, slicing his emotions as he states, "I didn't think you were trying to use me for sex just to toss me aside."

Ria cringes. "I-"

"When I told you, I thought it would be a great opportunity. I genuinely wanted to see your work. I wasn't trying to trick you."

Despite his best efforts, her rejection has been lingering over him ever since that night. He was becoming infatuated with the woman who had dreams in her eyes, glimmering like stars, while she was merely interested in sleeping with him.

She shakes her head, expression still layered under confusion. "Then why didn't you warn me not to come?"

He laughs as if it were obvious. "What was I supposed to say? Since you rejected me, you no longer deserve this opportunity?"

She huffs and puckers her lips — lips that suddenly become enticing. Chills race over his skin and he waits as she juggles a response in her head. Her hands tighten on the portfolio and she leans on her hip.

He drags in a breath. "Ria-"

"Sorry!"

He arches a brow and stops. Her mouth hangs open and she stares at him wide-eyed. Chuckling, he runs his fingers through his hair and shakes his head. "My god, you're adorable."

Scarlet brushes along her cheeks, concealing her cinnamon freckles. His pulse jumps and attraction sends him inching closer like his world is drawn to hers. And fucking beautiful.

Flames cascade around her shoulders, the most vibrant shade of red hair he's ever seen, adorned over a complexion that varies between the faintest bronze and a deep tan. Her eyes...he loves her eyes, like a mixture of honey and green. Hazel. The perfection of her full lips...god, the taste of them still lingers on his tongue. How soft they were. Their naturally red tint.