46 | a foolproof plan

He's finally learning how to be himself again because of me.

REACHING ASHTON'S LOFT brings a foreign nerve-wracking sensation to Ria

REACHING ASHTON'S LOFT brings a foreign nerve-wracking sensation to Ria. Jared stands beside her, hands deep in his jean pockets. He's shivering in his thick fall jacket, eyes low and teeth chattering. Ria tugs her jacket around her glaciating body and toes her boot into the ground. "Are you sure you want to see her again?"

"Yeah." He squares his shoulders and pushes his glasses up the bridge of his red nose, pinched from the cold.

She offers a curt nod before fishing out her key and unlocking Ashton's door. He's already walking towards them, face flushed as he reaches the threshold. "Hey," she breathes in surprise.

"Hey." Ashton leans down and places his lips softly upon hers. It's only a feather-light touch, but her heart skips anyway. "I'm so sorry to do this to you," he murmurs as his nose brushes along hers.

"It's fine. Really." She conjures up enough energy to give him a weak smile. "We have to go through some tough times before we can have it all, right?"

He returns her smile, just as weak, threatening to shatter. "Right." His gaze flicks up to Jared and his lips tighten. "Hey. Sorry to drag you into this."

Jared shrugs, hands still deep in his pockets. "I guess I kind of asked for it, following a strange woman into your loft and everything."

Ashton laughs, it's soft and lifeless, but an effort nonetheless.

"Jared said she told him that you two were family," Ria informs him as he helps her from her jacket. "That you adopted her into your family or something like that."

Ashton rolls his eyes while tossing Ria's jacket on the coat hanger by the entrance. Jared follows suit. "Well, we're about to get everything straightened out right now. Daniel is here to help figure out some sort of plan while I'm gone."

Ria nods and instinctively reaches for his hand. Ashton slips his fingers between hers. Together, they go into the living room to face the newest obstacle in their relationship.

Vivian and Daniel sit across the living room from each other. The morning sun releases a pale glow between them as venomous glares adorn their faces. It's like watching fire and ice go head to head in a silent but furious battle. Vivian is tense, grey eyes narrowed into slits while Daniel's body is rigid. He drums his fingers on his armrest and practically bares his teeth at her.

"Daniel and Vivian never got along," Ashton whispers over his shoulder.

I can see that.

"We're all mostly acquainted with each other." Ashton's deep voice reaches across the static room as they approach. He slings an arm over Ria's tense shoulders. "Ria, this is Vivian, Vincent's younger sister. Vivian, this is Ria, my girlfriend. You've already met her best friend" - he points to Jared as he stands next to them - "because you tricked him into leading you here."