39 | darkest secret

Flaws are beautiful. That's what makes art.

A SMILE OF ADORATION graces Ashton's expression, watching as Ria snaps a picture of every aesthetic in their path

A SMILE OF ADORATION graces Ashton's expression, watching as Ria snaps a picture of every aesthetic in their path. The whir and snap of her camera breathe under the gentle roar of traffic and ecstatic beachgoers. Though she may be stalling to reach the beach across from their hotel, the infatuation burning in her eyes is ever apparent as they pass vibrant shades of peach-colored flowers and sky-blue architecture.

She's stunning as always. Teal petals are etched in the fabric of her magenta bikini. Her hair is frizzier than normal but reflects the sun like immortal flames flicking behind her. Sun-soaked skin is nearly bronze with rays of light piercing through billowy clouds.

Her cherry lips are parted and occasionally arch when she comes across something she must deem mesmerizing. Her lashes flutter as she falls for each image captured behind her lens.

It's beautiful watching the art of life touch her in such delicate yet vigorous ways.

I pay way too much attention to her.

Ashton trails after her with hands deep in his pockets and his gaze sealed to her. He's never paid this much attention to any woman before. Not even Vivian. Somehow the very air that Ria breathes entrances him and he has no idea why.

Why can't he stop staring at her? Why does he notice so many small things about her? Why does she make his chest hurt when all she does is look at him or give him that innocent smile of hers?

How?

Why?

"Why are you so different?" he whispers.

"Huh?" Ria stops but continues to study the screen of her camera.

Ashton halts when he walks past her and peers over his shoulder in confusion. "What?"

Hazel irises flick towards him. "You said something."

"I did?" He frowns. "What did I say?"

She giggles and rolls her eyes. "That's what I just asked you, silly."

There it is again. The oddest sensations erupt in his chest. Agonizing yet solacing. Bursts of color are being painted across the canvas of his heart. Ashton narrows his eyes as she returns to scrolling through her pictures. She begins humming a delicate tune and leads the way towards the beach again.

He's not far behind. The universe ties his soul to hers and her melody entrances his vulnerable mind. Ria weaves through other vacationers until they reach the beach and her toes take their first dip into the sand. She freezes and looks down before jerking her head back to him, eyes brimming with unease.

"It's okay." He extends his hand to her. "We don't have to get into the water today. We can just sit down and look at it."

Her gaze finds his with trust. She slips her clammy hand into his and squeezes. Together, they trek through the sands, hot particles slipping between their sandals to the bottoms of their feet, towards an isolated area several feet away from shore.