49 | a snake's motives

You're not enough for him.

"WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING?" Vivian's scrutiny is laid upon Daniel as he lounges across the cream sofa

"WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING?" Vivian's scrutiny is laid upon Daniel as he lounges across the cream sofa. A glass of wine dangles loosely between his fingers as he flourishes in its nectarous flavor.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He places the cool edge to his lips and lathers the blissful substance around his tastebuds.

"I think you do." She stands directly in front of the television, blocking his view of the cooking program playing lowly across the screen. "You hate me. Why did you help me find Ashton?"

"Wouldn't you just love to know?" He smirks with devilish intents and flaunts a dismissive hand at her. "Move. You're in my way."

She folds her arms and wears a glare sharp enough to slice his flesh. "This should be the least of your concern."

"I interview these guys next week." Daniel points a vague finger at the screen. "I'm doing my research."

"Research can wait."

"Hmm." He tips his glass back again, drawing more wine between his lips and savoring it around his tongue. "Like it did for you for how many years? Tell me, Viv, how many years of education did you get?" He pretends to think, tapping his puckered lips. "Was it elementary school? Did you get to learn your times tables yet?"

Pain breaks through her scowl and for the briefest moment, he can thrive off her of her embarrassment. "You are scum," she hisses.

A mere chuckle falls from his amused lips. He throws an arm behind his head, sinking further into Ashton's sofa. "What's up with the sleeves, Viv? Don't want your new crush to see how depressing you are?"

As if from instinct, she pulls at her sleeves. "It's fall. I can wear long sleeves."

"It's not cold in Ashton's loft." He holds his hands up as if to say nice and toasty. "Why don't you wear something shorter? Let everyone see those wonderful scars on your arms." He taps his lips and drags his gaze up to the ceiling. "Just how close have you gotten to actually killing yourself? I'm still waiting for the day that we don't have to worry about you anymore."

Vivian's eyes shine like rain preparing to fall from storm clouds. A sharp breath slips between her pale lips. Narrow shoulders tense while her arms shake as she clenches her fists. "Ashton doesn't deserve a friend like you. If only he knew how disgusting you are, he'd never trust you."

"On the contrary." Daniel leans up now, glaring at her pathetic show of tears. "I'm the reason Ashton is still breathing. You have been destroying his life for years."

"Is that why you hate me?" She throws her hands up. "You think I destroyed his life?"

"I don't think, Vivian. I got a front row seat to Ashton's depression flaring up because of you." He stands up now, setting his glass down on the coffee table. With long strides, he stalks towards her, sending her staggering back with fear radiating off of her meek frame. "Ashton's life would be so much better if all of you pathetic women would stay out of it."