Chapter Nine - Right Here, Right Now

"Just meet me back at the hotel, then," said Tyler, checking his watch.

"Thanks," I replied, mentally reminding myself to check the accommodation prices for the hotel. I couldn't just keep piggybacking off him like this. Behind me, people bustled around, taking down tables and carrying armloads of gifts outside so that Tyler could look at them later.

Lauren grabbed my hand. "Come on," she grinned as the dragged me through the hall.

We'd left the dressing room now, all thoughts of the kiss stuffing up my mind.

"Where are we going?" I asked as she pushed the door open into the darkening sky.

"You'll see."

I hesitated. "Tyler-"

"It's fine," she insisted. "Tyler'll be OK."

We squeezed onto buses, ran along dimmed sidewalks in the light of flickering streetlamps. I held her small hands as we watched the city fly by, a mass of lights and signs, beckoning for us to come in, to keep going, to never fall asleep and let the world confine me. I was overwhelmed by a strong sense on ambedo, furiously drinking in the hum and vibration of the vehicle, the gentle chatter, the lights that flashed and the cozy feeling of watching the world fly by.

At one stop, Lauren pulled me off, and I blinked to push away the dizzy feeling that jumped on me as I stumbled off the bus.

We were in the heart of London - it was, to put it simply, beautiful. As usual. I remembered what it had been like when I'd first moved to London with Phil. Bright lights and dull people walking under flashy shells. Phil had been the brightest light of them all.

I almost had time to admire the sights before I was being pulled along again.

We were walking the streets of London, breathless but breathing, talking, laughing, getting away, leaving the bright lights behind us as we traveled behind building walls plastered with spray paint murals, where strange mean, women, and non-binary people alike sat on sidewalks, speaking in hushed and raspy tones.

As we kept going, I had let go of the question of where we were supposed to be headed, noticing a skunky scent begin creeping up into the air - marijuana. I coughed, turning my head to the side.

"WHat's up?" asked Lauren.

"Nothing," I replied, looking up at the road sign. "Wait." I grabbed her arm. "This is East Gastrey Street."

"So what?" she had a slightly cocky, slightly challenging look on her face.

"So..." I paused. "It's weird down there. You - we shouldn't be here."

She laughed, throwing her head back. "What are you?"Don't be such a pussy. Don't worry. I have friends down there. It's fine." She tugged on my wrist.

Why should I trust you?

"OK, lead the way."

***

The smell of drugs and smoke was thick in the air as we came into a particularly dark alleyway.

Graffiti was slathered up and down the walls; some paintings beautiful and intricate, fresh and bright,, while others were literally dripping spray parinted dicks.

We stood in-between two broken-down buildings, both very tall and seemed to be crumbling as we walked. dizzying fumes hung thick in the air.

"So what're we doing -"

I didn't have time to finish the sentence before Lauren called out, "What's up, motherfuckers?"

I jumped. "What the fu-"