Chapter 5- Undead

When we got back to the compound, everything seemed alright, that is until Zack started acting strange. At first it was just little things, he'd trip up, but he started to collapse onto the ground. When I confronted him about it, he'd always say I'm fine. He collapsed and died after a few days. We had to bury him in the backyard. We kept trying to find new people, finding just more of the undead every day. We found a kid, he called himself "Crazy Ace". He wouldn't tell us what his real name was, just that he had been using flames and blades to booby trap himself in houses, so we had him set up a defense system around the compound using Aerosol Cans, lighters, and pressure plates. The zombie would trip the plate, the aerosol can would fall, and the force of the fall would usually blow it, and the lighters would drop and catch the remains on fire to keep bodies from piling up. We had a small farm going with some supplies we raided from a local Co-op Building, so we had a self sustaining food source, for now at least, our rations worked pretty well, until Crazy slipped and blew a few bags of corn into pieces.

           Then Adalynn and I had to make a run out. It was the usual, sneak out during the day when none of the undead were around, pass the traps, find an unraided building, and enter it. But not this time, something didn't feel right. We walked into the abandoned Wal-Mart, and started looking for food. Not much hadn't been taken, but we did each get a grocery cart full of items, so it was a nice trip. We got enough food and water, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. I told Adalynn that we needed to get out quick, something was shady about the whole ordeal, what with leaving Crazy alone by himself. Usually we'd take him with, but he said he had something to work on. When we got closer to the compound, I found out my feelings were incorrect, I was just being paranoid. I approached the front gate casually with the supplies when Adalynn yelled at me. And that's when I saw the pressure plate under my cart.