Eva 2

Before I know it, it's Thursday night. I have to go home, tomorrow is Choosing Day.

My time with Cross has been amazing. I've seen my first movie, eaten odd foods, and even bought clothes! Jeans at that! Blue, coral, black, and white! This is the most fun I've ever had. Cross is amazing. He's smart, funny, and incredibly handsome. I shouldn't have stayed, it's only made me resent going back even more. I have feelings for Cross. Unchanging, romantic and physical feelings. I put on his helmet, which now smells of me, and he fastens it. I straddle his back. I've grown accustomed to the bike, perhaps I'll get one. 

The ride is an hour long, but it only feels like fifteen minuets. Soon we're outside of my house and the butterflies in my stomach flutter to my throat. The first person I see is George. I step off the bike and towards him. He stills for a moment before running to me, picking me up, and twirling me. I haven't forgotten that he betray me. I push him away. 

"What's wrong, Eva? I missed you." He looks confused. I shake my head and walk past him. My brother hugs me next and I hug him back. Then mother. I hug back, but not with the same affection. She's never hurt me or judged me, but she's never defended me. I note my father is no where to be seen. How unfortunate.

George runs back to me. "What are you wearing? Your father is very displeased and so am I."  I've only just arrived, but I can't stand it here. Maybe running away gave me more courage. I slap him delicately across the face. He looks at me, stunned.

"I don't have to please anyone." My teeth are clamped, but he yanks me into him and gives me a terrible kiss. He lips are greedy and his breathing is sloppy. I pull away and spit on the ground.

 Then, I hear a motorcycle pull away. I snap my head towards the end of my street. I see Cross turn the corner and my heart drops. I walk up to my bedroom and force myself to fall asleep. 

I dream of George, only a different version if him. There's a distant look in his eyes. And a fire is being reflected in them. His face is cold and his lips are bloody. There's a trickleof blood running down from his forehead. He's aiming a gun at me. 

"Please, George. You don't want to do this. Let me help you. You can join us." He swallows and pulls the trigger.

I wake up in a cold sweat. My ears are ringing. I take a hot shower an try to erase the dream, but when I get to the choosing ceremony and see George, it all comes back. 

I try and stay away from him, but when we line up, I can't avoid him. I don't talk and keep to myself, but I see him ogling at me through the corner of my eye. Stupid dress. 

 Fortitudo goes first, then Perspicia. No one from Fortitudo transfers and three from Perspicia leave. One goes to Sapentia and two go to Fortitudo. I heard about the people going to Fortitudo, a couple. They dont want to be split up. We quickly go down the line of Sapentia. Everyone stays, and then they get to me. I assume the stage and the microphone. I'm practiced with public speaking, but I feel nervous now for some reason. I made up my mind the first morning I spent with Cross. 

"I, Eva Stafani Taylor, choose to... Transfer sectors. From Sapentia: To Fortitudo."

A large gasp arises from the crowd. I hastily exit the stage and go stand in the back of the other Fortitudo kids. Someone beside me nudges my arm. I look to my left. It's a girl with short, leopard-print hair. 

"Why'd you transfer?" She whispers. 

"Lots of reasons. I just didn't fit the mold." I shrug, hoping my lie is good enough.

"And you think you will here?" A boy to my right snorts.

"We'll just have to see." I smile to myself. 

"I'm Teagan." The girl to my right smiles. She has lip piercings in three places.

"I'm Eva." I smile back, now intrigued by this new sector, and relieved that they bought the story. 

"Eva, I'm Steele." The boy shakes my hand.

The ceremony is over in half a hour. 

"We're having a party to celebrate. You're cool enough to against your father, your cool enough for me." First night as a Fortitudo, and I'm already being accepted. 

"It's at the pub downtown, 10:30." Teagan says and then jogs after her other friends as they begin to leave. The pub. I wonder if Cross will be there. I wonder why he drove off. 

I find my mother and we all pile into the car. My father still doesn't speak to me, but he holds the wheel with white-knuckle force. We get home and I go directly upstairs. I decide to wear my electric blue jeans and black top to show my loyalty. As I'm leaving the house, my father stops me.

 "Eva, where do you think you're going?" 

"There's a Fortitudo party for initiates." My voice is still weak around him. 

"You're not going. It'll be chaos." He says plainly. 

"In case you forgot, I transferred." I mumble. 

"You can change back." He muses.

"I won't." I say firmly, surprising myself. 

His eyes pierce me. "You will. Now go to bed, Eva!" 

I ignore him and begin walking out the door. 

"Eva!" He yells and grabs my arm. I struggle away from him and I feel a sting on my cheek. He's slapped me. I push away. I run out the door. How dare he! I'm fuming by the time I catch a late bus downtown.

 I see people already inside the pub, beers in there hands. I go in and Teagan and Steele immediately find me. A beer is thrust into my hands.

 "Nice jeans." Teagan nods with approval. 

Music starts up out of the corner and Teagan starts thrashing her head and body. I follow and do what she's doing. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The picture is of Eva in her Choosing Ceremony dress! Xx