Eva 7

The next day we all go up a new set of stairs. The trainers are waiting for us.

I've braided my hair down my back. I desperately hope Allec notices after not getting to talk to him yesterday.

We form rows and columns again as Gage addresses the crowd. "Last night there was a loss. We honor the dead in Fortitudo. We will now observe a moment of silence." A boy named John killed himself last night by pitching himself off the top of the building. "Okay." Gage ends the painful silence.

"For today's lesson we will be splitting you into two groups. Those who lost confidence in themselves and those who kept it. Losers on the left, keepers on the right. Move." Everyone hesitates in separating, especially the losers.

"Now!" Gage snaps and everyone moves a little faster until there is a gap between us. Teagan and Steele are at my side. The boy and the girl couple are split up- boy on the right, girl on the left. I wonder what broke her, probably something to do with him. Gage walks over to the losers with Jack. Several of them begin to cry. They march them off. Allec and the others come over to us.

"We're all very proud of you. Yesterday was a test. We are you friends and your greatest allies. We understand that some of you might hate us now, but you'll get over it. Now, today, because you all are so sure of yourself, we have a new test set up for you all." We all go up to the 2nd highest floor. They lead us to the middle of an empty room where a giant pit awaits us. Kale gets a call and has to leave.

"Okay, each of you will put on these goggles and jump into the pit. No question. Who wants to go first?" Pete, of course raises his hand. He grabs the goggles and just barely slides them over his face before he jumps in. I raise my hand to go next. I waited on that first day for nothing. I want a good rank, and bravery is a way to get it. I look in the pit and see something at the bottom. Once I adjust to the goggles I see.. Myself. I'm standing at the bottom with my arms outstretched, ready to catch. I have to catch myself. Like the ultimate trust fall. I count down from three and fall. I count the seconds I fall.

One, two- ugh. I lose the breath in my body as I'm caught. I open my eyes and see my own smiling face. I stand myself up and take off the goggles. Instead of seeing my face, now I see Kale's. I exhale with relief. Now it makes sense. The goggles make you see yourself, pretty remarkable tech. I hand my goggles to Kale and wait for my friends. We go and work out again until dinner. Tonight the dining hall is alive with laughter and the bashing of teeth. We all eat and talk until its time for bed.

On the way back to the sleeping quarters, Allec catches up to me. "Eva," he stops me.

"Hey, Allec."

I smile at him and and he smiles back. I wonder if he's talked to Ruth. "How are you holding up?" He asks me. "I'm fine. You? I can't help but to notice how Gage makes you.." I take the role of a concerned friend. I care for him. I notice when he's upset or stressed out.

"Gage just likes to show off." He shrugs, but the annoyance on his face is clear.

"I can't believe you don't." I begin flattering him. "You're top of your class, young, government job, handsome..." The last word slips out of my mouth. Of course it did, though. It's all I ever think about when I see him.