Allec 4

This chapter starts with Allec's speech! You get to see Allec's protective side for the first time in this chapter, and it only gets better!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hope no one's gotten fat yet." They laugh. "You begin strict training tomorrow. We expect the best because we are the best. Remember the motto: Fortitudo daturus est vestra omnibus. Strength is giving your all. We all have that strength inside of us. Initiation is about controlling it. Get a good night's rest, you'll need it."  

I nod to everyone and they know its time to leave. I throw my own trash away,too. 

I need to talk to Eva. I didn't want to involve her, but I heard Ruth has already talked to her. It seems everything I do with this girl gets more complicated. It's good to get to her now, while she's happy.  

I catch her coming out of the cafeteria and pull her aside.  

"Hey." She smiles up at me. Her smile will blind me eventually. 

"Hey. How are you liking everything?" I smile back at her. I can't help it.  

"Everything is fantastic." Her smile grows.  

"Good. Just so you know, trainers are staying here too. I'll show you where, but first... Has Ruth talked to you?" The smile on her face fades. 

"She said some odd things." She shifts in her spot uncomfortably.  

"What?" I feel happiness change from happiness to sadness. Perpetual sadness.  

"She asked if I was angry about my mom." Frown lines mark her beauty. 

Her mom? "Why would Ruth be interested in-"  

"Councilmen Taylor and his wife are not my biological parents. I'm adopted. My parents were... Executed by the state." Her head drops. I'm in shock.  

This beautiful angel has been through so much... Why didn't I know? Why couldn't I tell? Neither of her parents had black hair or grey eyes. I'm an idiot.  

"Why were they..." I try to figure out why her parents could have been executed. I can't remember the last time someone was executed. It wasn't in any of the history books from school. 

She looks at me desperately through her eyelashes.  

"I don't know. No one would ever tell me, but... I think Councilwoman Ruth might know. I think she might want to tell me." The faintest shimmer if hope dances in the grey irises.  

Whatever Ruth is planning, I don't want Eva involved.  

"Eva, let me talk to Ruth, okay? C'mon, I'll show you my room."