Chapter 19

Peyton's POV

''Peyton?  I'm not feeling well.  Can you take my shift at the front desk this morning?''  Jess asks me through our adjoining room door.  We do this often now.  Fill in for each other, I mean.  With our babies's due date getting even closer, we need all the help we can get.  From either each other or our other friends working here at the hotel.   They completely understand, too.   That makes up appreciate  them even more.  

"Yeah sure. Is the baby okay?" I ask concerned for the little life form growing inside of her.

"Yes. I believe so. I think I may actually be getting a true cold and not just morning sickness."

"Well, okay. If something does not feel right, you need to see the doctor."

"I know and I will. Don't worry about me. Worry about those babies growing inside of you!" she replies chuckling and leaves the room.

I grab my uniform and go to the bathroom to put it on.  I look in the mirror as I am in there. My stomach is huge. It looks like I have a humongous tumor just jutting out from stomach. It almost does not look like I am pregnant, but that I have an abnormality. This realization makes me want to cry, but I know I can not for the sake of my babies. I will look normal again in a few weeks after I deliver theses munchkins. 

That makes me smile. Thinking about when the babies come around and are here with me and Jess. It used to scare me, you know. When those babies come and we will never see each other because we will be working opposite shifts, but I guess that is how it is for all parents. Not just me and Jess. Just because our situation is a little bit different, doesn't mean we have to succumb to the horrors of being not adequate mothers. We will raise these children well and right. No matter what.

I put on my uniform and leave the bathroom, ready to start and have a great day. Nothing matters in the future because I need to live in the present and not worry about the scary reality the future holds.

It will not be that bad anyway. Raising three children alone, I mean. Jess and I will have each other and we will have the support of everyone at the hotel. Our children will have a wonderful life, I'm sure.

I work at the front desk for Jess's usual hours. It is actually nice working at the front desk because I just have to sit on a chair and almost relax. The people checking in were very nice because our hotel is under such great management, there barely is any problems! It is great to get off of my swollen feet, too.

Once I am done with Jess's shift, I check my phone to see I have one missed message. I got a text from Gianna telling me that once I was done working I had to get to the hospital.

Oh no! What could have happened?

I read some more and see that it is not urgent, but I still had to get there.

I comply to the command and race to my car as fast as any pregnant woman with twins can. I am still allowed to drive, but I have to put my seat back as far as it can go and I can still reach the pedals.

Once I make it to the hospital, I call Gianna and ask her what I need to do now. She never even told me who was in the hospital! Oh no! What if it is Luke?

The phone rings about three times before she picks up, "Hey Peyton. I am here at the hospital with Sergio and Jess. We and the doctors of course, think that Jess is going into labor." 

What? Jess into labor? This is crazy! She is not due for another three weeks.

Gianna continues to talk on the other side as I stand with my jaw practically on the floor.

"Since it is a high risk because she is so early, they decided to give her a C-section." she says with a sigh. 

Poor Jess. That was the one thing she did not want, a C-section.

"Is there any way they do not have to do the C-section?" I ask hopeful.

"Nope. It is a must because she is so early." she says. "Anyway, we are in room 3K-75. Follow the signs from wherever you are to the room."

"Okay. Thanks for the information." I tell Gianna and hang up. 

This is definitely a turn in events for both of us. We were not expecting any of the babies to come this soon. I guess I will have to start working overtime to figure this one out.

Finally after walking the halls of this huge hospital for what seems to be hours, I find the labor wing and Jess's room.

I walk into her room and see her hooked up to some machines and with a plastic cap on her head. It almost looks like a shower cap. She must be going in for surgery, already.

"I see you actually were not feeling good this morning, instead of just wanting to skip work like I thought." I say with a smile.

Jess chuckles and replies, "Yep. I just wish my pregnancy did not have to end this way." 

"It's okay Jess. You will figure it out. Plus, I will be going through the exact same thing in a few weeks." I say to try to reassure her.

"Thanks for the support, Peyt. You really are a great friend." Jess says with what seems to be a genuine smile.

I grab her hand from the side of her hospital bed and whisper, "We will figure this out. We always have figured out the toughest situations."

The doctor walks in shortly after and says, "All right everyone. I believe it is time." and claps his hands.  

I look over at Jess who now has a worried and concerned look on her face and say, "You will be fine." and that is the last I see her until after the surgery.

---------

Thanks everyone.

madin49