Chapter 18

ONE YEAR LATER

LUKE'S POV

I wish I could say that I found her. That I hold her in my arms every night and never want to let go. That she is my beautiful wife and mother of my children. That eventually Brandon and Jess got married and he raised her child like it was his. That me and her have a wonderful relationship and would never think of leaving each other. That me and her have a beautiful house in the countryside just outside of Houston, but I can't. I will never see her again. I don't know if I ever want to see her again. She broke my heart and it almost killed me. That is unforgivable.

We were the perfect couple. I loved her. And I thought she loved me.

Life went on after that day. I cried myself to sleep some nights, shed some tears during the day, too. A week after the draft I was shipped from Louisiana to the great state of Texas. Except it really wasn't that great. Not when you didn't have someone great to share it with, like her.

Houston was a great fit for me, though. I made friends with all the guys on the team and bought my own house that about twenty miles from the heart of Houston. My house is secluded and I like it that way. It was actually hard to get a wifi connection running at my house when I first built it. I had to hire about seven different electricians and tech guys.

The boys on my team hold parties all the time, especially if we win, but I never end up going. I did for the first night I was back from training camp. Arian Foster held it at his condo. Of course there were many girls there and I ended up with one. Worst decision of my life. I was completely drunk and when we were in the bedroom, I accidentally called the girl (who I can't even remember her name now) her name. Not as in the girl's name, but her name. The girl slapped me, and getting slapped when you are drunk hurts just as much, and ran out. Never heard from her again.

Sometimes I wonder what she is doing. Where she is. If she is cold or hungry. Or if she has a man's arm around her waist at night preventing her from getting cold. If she made any new friends. If she is with Jess. Where she is working. I used to worry about her a lot. Then I realized, she ran off because she wanted to. Not because she had to. There was nothing preventing her from staying with me. That is why I am truly mad at her.

Brandon and I are still very close. We meet up every other weekend to watch movies and just hang out. One way we like to hang out on the road is when one of us has a bye weekend. This weekend is my bye weekend and Brandon's team is playing the Miami Dolphins. So I will be there cheering him on and staying in the same condo at The Oceanic in Miami.

------------------------------

PRESENT TIME

PEYTON'S POV

Today is going to be a great day! Jess and I are going shopping for more last minute baby items for her and then Gianna and Sergio are going to surprise her with a baby shower at the hotel.

We called Jake two weeks ago asking if we could use one of the conference or really any room for a baby shower for Jess. Of course he said yes and booked us the Great Room. The Great Room is for any big event that is held at our hotel. So weddings, galas, receptions, banquets, and now baby showers! Haha! Jake even told us that he will be in attendance and will be inviting some of his friends that also own hotels.

Jess and I are walking in the mall looking at all the stores. We see one store that looks like it may have some good items in it for us to buy. ''Jess, let's look in this one.'' I say and we walk in scanning the items on display.

''Ooh! Peyt! Come look at this!'' I smile and walk over to where Jess is standing. She is looking at baby football jerseys with Luke's team on the front. My smile drops and I start to involuntarily tear up. I feel bad for crying and I know she didn't do this on purpose, but I just feel so sad now. Stupid hormones.