Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave."

-Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs

"Uh, is anyone going to tell me what the hell is going on?" The voice of Zack rang through the air, seeming to pull us all out of our thoughts and back to reality. I sighed.

If I was being perfectly honest, I just wanted the kid to leave. It's not that I didn't like him, but at the moments things were a little hectic. Ryder had just made quite the, uh, impressionable visit, Jackson had just sputtered out some sort of combination of words that basically sounded like, "Leave us alone before I tell the big bad Alpha King on you," and most importantly, my wrist was still throbbing where Ryder had gripped it harshly.

So, yeah, all things considered? It would've been nice if Zack could've taken a day off from being the main love interest and just let us all figure out what the hell was about to happen. '

You'd think the kid would've realized this family is freaky by now and got out while he could. I know that if some guy I'd met at a coffee shop was harboring an obsessive ex-girlfriend and some sort of supernatural secret, I would've split the second I could.

Well...

Unless he was Harry Styles.

"Well," I clapped my hands together, drawing everyone's attention over to me, "As lovely as this coversation is about to go, this really isn't my business. I'll be up in my room!"

Before I could even take a step towards the stairs, Jackson seized the collar of my shirt and pulled me back. Leaning down, he whispered, "I don't think so. If I have to sit here and watch as loverboy gets all demanding and manage not to kill him, you best bet you have to endure this too."

I groaned, "Come on, Jackson! Besides, this really doesn't have much to do with me, anyway. He's Skylar's boy-toy - can't she handle this by herself?"

He gave me a look that said, 'You-Really-Want-Me-To-Let-Skylar-Handle-This?' before pulling me over to the couch across from a very freaked-out Zack and a worried fake-twin.

Just one look at Almost-Dylan-O'Brien's face and I could tell he was barely holding on there. Against my will, I felt a spark of pity for the kid. After all, I did have some sort of semblance what it was like to be thrown into an entirely new world.

The only difference was I sort of knew what to expect - he was walking blind.

"Alright, what do you want to know?" Jackson's cold voice pulled me out of my thoughts, and I turned to see him giving Zack a hard stare.

Before Zack could answer, Skylar jumped in, glaring at Jackson, "Hey, don't be mean to him! This isn't his fault - it's mine, okay? It's my fault that any of this has happened. If anyone should be on the end of that look, Jackie, it should be me." She cast a look downward, looking ashamed.

Oh, for Pete's sake.

This is not the time to have some sort of self-loathing pity party, people.

"Look, as much as I'd love to totally reassure you and everything," I cut in, "Can we get back to the original topic at hand? Bottom line - this is happened, it doesn't matter who has the blame here."

Jackson cleared his throat, "Of course. Zack?"

Zack closed his eyes briefly, as if collecting himself, before fixing Jackson with a determined look, "Well, first of all, I want all of you to be completely honest with me - no bullshit. That guy out there? You can't honestly sit here and tell me he was completely human. So, why don't we start with that?"