Chapter 4

Chapter 4

With my book bag strap already on my shoulder and I hurriedly walked to the kitchen and grabbed an apple. In order to arrive on time to school I had to leave the house at 7 o’clock sharp; it was twenty past. As I locked the front door I tripped going down the porch steps but saved myself from falling by walking forward fast until I regained my balance. My head snapped up immediately as I scouted the area to see if there were any witnesses to my walking fail. There were none.

Oh yeah, no one lives near me. I thought to myself.

 Walking to school was a regular thing for me but during winter the mornings were always just so dark. My house was in solitude. Well that is until you walk about 4 blocks to the right.

My house was three levels if you counted the basement. The floor throughout the entire house was wooded. Each room had a bathroom and each bathroom had both a tub and shower. The outside of my house was white topped with a peach colored roof. Each side of the house and part of my backyard was surrounded with a thick forest, threatening to consume us if not monthly trimmed. My parents always warned me to stay away from the timberland.

Feeling quite uneasy I quickened my pace and arrived to school having ten minutes to spare. Letting out a sigh I used my book bag as a pillow and laid on a bench.

Raven appeared first, as usual, bear tackling me off the bench and onto the ground. 

“Yup, so what’s with the new outfit? Oh my glob, is it picture day!?” She squealed eyes lost in thought as her hand searched her bag for a mirror.

“Haha no, I'm just wearing this because I thought I would look nice in it.” I replied with a smile.

“Oh... oh yeah picture day was last semester.” She smiled showing her white pearls.

I don’t know if it was the sun reflecting on her teeth causing them to appear red or that at that very second a migraine formed in my head so unexpectedly that I grasped onto Ravens shoulder for support. “Jenni are you ok? Is it another migraine?”

“Yeah, it just caught me off guard, I'm fine.” I whispered letting go of her shoulder.

With her eyebrows furrowed she replied with a simple okay. From the corner of my eye I could see why I called her my best friend, she had moved closer to me ready to catch me in case I fainted.

As we entered Crows Town High, Kevin caught up to us wearing black close fitting jeans with a white V-neck under his regular black hoodie. His hair was obviously not combed and his lips held two snakebites on the right side.

“Hey, what’s up?” he greeted me without giving Raven a glance. With that I leaned back a little and prepared my hand into a fist which I plunged it at Kevin’s shoulder. “Um- ow? What was that for?” His voice expressed no hint of pain or genuine confusion.

“Are you serious? It was for setting my damn alarm clock at 4am!” I yelled earning a few glances in our direction.

“Oh yeah, sorry ‘bout that.” Kevin replied attempting to suppress a laugh. Irritated I stalked away but before I entered my health class I felt Kevin’s arms around my waist pulling me back.

“Kevin let g-” I was going to say he should release me but Raven gripped Kevin’s arm.

“Get your hands off her,” Raven threatened.

Silence, that’s all there was in the entrance of the small class room.

I hate it when they cause a commotion! It’s too early for this.