Chapter Ten

That evening, Asta stayed by Loki's side in the healing rooms. The healers were able to stabilize his condition. They wiped the blood from his face and all that remained were his bruises. Asta held his hand in hers and she could not stop crying, no matter how hard she tried.

"Asta..." Thor trailed off.

"They said he should wake soon. They said that hours ago." Asta told him.

"I found out what happened." Thor said.

Asta turned to look at Thor and she furrowed her brow.

"You did?" Asta asked.

"Upon hearing about your leave, the guards found him vulnerable and decided to attack him then, as they used to." Thor explained.

"They tried to kill him." Asta commented.

"What?" Thor asked.

Thor rushed to Loki's side and could see the bruises around his neck.

"Oh my god." Thor whispered.

Asta glared up at Thor and she gritted her teeth together.

"I don't care what you have to do...but you need to get Loki out of that cell." Asta seethed.

Thor inhaled sharply as he looked at Asta and nodded his head.

"Are you alright to stay?" Thor asked.

"I'm fine. I'll look after him. Just...please, leave...and help him." Asta replied.

Thor nodded his head and paced out of the room. Asta turned her attention back to Loki and stood up from her seat. She hovered over him as she caressed his cheek and laid a kiss to his forehead.

"Wake up, Loki. For the love of the gods, please, wake up." Asta whispered in his ear.

Asta leaned back into her seat and let out a shaky sob as Loki's eyes did not open.

"I'm so sorry." Asta cried.

Moments later, Asta gasped as Loki began to stir in his sleep and opened his eyes slowly. Asta stood up from her seat and took his hand in hers and brought it to her lips. She beamed as he looked up at her and she chocked out a laugh through her sobs.

"You're awake, thank the gods." Asta said breathlessly.

Her smile faded as Loki pulled his hand from her grasp. He narrowed his eyes at her and then turned himself onto his side so he was not facing her. Asta shook her head and she felt more tears fall from her eyes.

"Please do not turn yourself from me, Loki. I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I should have never left you. I was stupid to think that we could do this healing by ourselves but...Thor showed me just how wrong I was. We need each other to get through this. We understand each other like no one else can. Please, do not turn away from me." Asta explained as she looked down at Loki.

Loki pulled the blanket higher up on his body and made no sign of turning to face her. He felt his heart break slowly as he heard her sobs.

"This is all my fault. If I hadn't left you there all alone, you would not be hurt. You would be safe. I was stupid and foolish to walk away from you. All of this is my fault and I don't think I could ever live with myself to know that this is how things ended with us. Please, Loki. Just look at me." Asta pleaded with him.

Loki still did not move and Asta put her hand over her mouth to muffle her cries. She nodded her head slowly and inhaled sharply as she tried to hold back her cries.

"If this is how things are to end with us, then I think you should know one thing." Asta said.

Loki furrowed his brow as he cocked his head softly and Asta took a deep breath before speaking.