Chapter Sixteen

Asta moaned as she leaned back against the pillows and Loki helped her lay down. She furrowed her brow as she looked up at Loki and shook her head.

"I'm so stupid." Asta's voice wavered.

Loki cocked his head to the side and Asta sniffled.

"I allowed this to happen again when I swore I would never feel this way again." Asta told him.

Loki sighed as he laid his hand on her cheek and caressed it softly. He shook his head and Asta smiled weakly.

"I ruined her room. Why would I do that?" Asta asked him.

Loki shrugged his shoulders and Asta sighed as she closed her eyes.

"I'm so stupid. I'm such a fool." Asta cried as she put her hands over her face.

Loki furrowed his brow as he took her wrists and gently pulled her hands away. He got closer to her on the bed and wrapped his arms around her as she sobbed into his chest. Loki cradled her head and ran his fingers through her hair as he rocked her softly. Asta pulled back as Loki began to hum a soft melody and she furrowed her brow as she looked up at him.

"I know that melody. She sang it to me whenever I was sad or scared." Asta commented.

Loki watched as Asta's lips curled into a small smile.

"Did she sing it to you too?" Asta asked.

Loki nodded his head and felt his heart soar as Asta beamed in delight.

"Do you remember how after she'd finish the tune, she'd take a big breath and when you thought there was more, she'd just pat your back or rustle your hair before leaving the room?" Asta asked with a chuckle.

Loki nodded his head enthusiastically and Asta chuckled as she laid her head back against his chest and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Would you do that to me?" Asta asked.

Loki shook his head and Asta sighed with content.

"I'm sorry that I did this to myself. I thought I'd never go through it again. I just feel so lost without her. How hard is it to find two men?" Asta told him.

Loki sighed as he laid Asta back down on the bed and she moaned softly as she furrowed her brow.

"I want to thank you for caring for me in my state. I know force feeding me might not have been the best, but you meant well. Thank you." Asta told him.

She took his hand in hers and Loki bowed his head as Asta smiled. Loki laid himself down next to Asta on the bed and she chuckled as she wrapped her arm around him as he laid his head on her shoulder. His right arm wrapped around her body and she laid her cheek against the top of his head as she closed her eyes and fell asleep. Two hours later, Asta awoke to find Loki pouring her medicine into her glass.

"Eir will be back soon." Asta said.

Loki nodded his head and Asta sighed as she laid her head back against the pillow. She turned her head to look up at Loki as he handed her the glass. Before she drank it, she smiled at Loki and shook her head.

"When I am well again, I will not only fight to find my grandmother's murderers, but I will fight with all my heart t hear your voice." Asta told him.

Asta could see Loki's eyes light up as he sat back down on the edge of the bed. She drank the dark colored liquid and handed back the glass to Loki, who set it on her nightstand.

"Ever since she described you to me when she told me stories about you from her adult life, I always imagined what you might sound like. From what she told me, I'd say you'd have some sort of charm in the way you spoke. It would be very smooth too. She said she most admired your wit. Now, I can't always help but think of how many witty comments or remarks you must think of but can never say. And the weird thing is, is that when I talk to you, you're almost like my conscience, or the voice in the back of my head, yet you never speak one word. But, I tend to ramble on about things. Maybe, once I'm better, I can get back to my healing and make more ointments and creams. That sounds lovely." Asta explained.

Asta gave Loki a look as he chuckled and she blushed wildly.

"I'm rambling now, aren't I?" Asta asked.

Loki nodded his head and Asta scoffed as she shook her head.

"Sorry. Is it hard to hear me speak all the time when you can't?" Asta inquired.

Loki wrote on the pad and handed her the paper when he was finished.

"No. You have a lovely voice that keeps me interested in what you have to say." Asta read aloud.

Asta smiled as she put the paper to her side and looked up at Loki. She watched as he wrote on the pad once more and hesitantly handed Asta the paper.

"I wish only for these stitches to be removed so that I could kiss your lips." Asta whispered.

Asta blushed as she put her fingers to her lips and smiled brightly.

"You wouldn't even want to talk? Just kiss?" Asta inquired.

Loki nodded his head and Asta giggled softly.

"I've never kissed." Asta said softly.

Loki's eyes widened and he began to write on the paper once more and Asta furrowed her brow, not being able to read his expression. She took the paper from his hand and read it.

"It would be a crime to never kiss your sweet and loving lips." Asta said aloud.

Asta's cheeks were bright red as she put her head down to try and hide it.

"So my assumptions were correct. Your voice is very well smooth indeed." Asta told him.

Loki chuckled as he nodded his head.

"I'm surprised you haven't gotten tired of my constant rambling. Agnette always had to cut me off whenever I kept going on and on. Eir had to do it as well. I once asked too many questions in a row and she had to use a spell to keep me from talking." Asta told him.

Asta laughed as Loki chuckled, his eyes beaming with delight seeing Asta recover well. Moments later, Eir entered the room and smiled seeing the two together.

"I bring the most exciting news." Eir told them.

"What is it?" Asta asked.

"Thor issued a search for your grandmother's murderers and they have been located and imprisoned for their crimes." Eir replied.

Asta gasped as she put her hands over her mouth and chuckled softly.

"Really?" Asta asked as her voice wavered.

"It is true. I heard it from his own mouth. He also wishes to come by here tomorrow to talk to the two of you." Eir told her.

Asta felt herself crying as she laughed and shook her head as Loki wrapped his arms around her.

"That is the best news I have heard in a while." Asta chuckled.

She pulled back from Loki's grip and smiled brightly.

"Her soul is at rest now. She is free." Asta giggled.

Eir watched as Asta leaned forward and laid a kiss to Loki's forehead.

"Thor is welcome to come here if he wants." Asta said.

"Now, let me check up on you and see if you're ready to get out of this bed." Eir told her.

After a few minutes, Eir finished her examination and smiled.

"You're doing much better. I'd say you'd be ready to get out of this bed in two days. Then, you can come back to working with me and bringing Loki along." Eir told her.

"Thank you so much." Asta said.

"There is no need to thank me." Eir smiled.

"No, there is. You cared for me and you agreed to be my guardian so that I may still be able to take care of Loki. I owe everything to you." Asta explained.

"You're very welcome, Asta. Now, let's see if Loki is hungry." Eir said.

Loki nodded his head and Eir began to recite the spell when Asta stopped her.

"May I?" She asked.

"Are you sure you're strong enough?" Eir retorted.

"I am." Asta replied.

Eir nodded her head and Asta smiled as she recited the spell.

"It's good to know that you're healing skills have not left you in your absence." Eir told her.

That night, Loki went to get himself ready for bed, Asta groaned softly. Loki furrowed his brow as he looked over at her and she chuckled.

"I'm hungry, Loki." Asta said.

Loki held up his finger as he walked into the kitchen and came back with a pear. Asta thanked him as he handed it to her. She ate the fruit as Loki got ready for bed. Before he could get under the covers of his own bed, Asta stopped him and he raised a brow as she blushed softly. Without saying a word, Asta moved over to the side of her bed and softly patted the mattress. Loki cocked his head to the side and Asta nodded her head. Loki walked over to her bed and got under the covers next to her. She looked at him as he turned to face her and she smiled brightly.

"This is nice, isn't it?" Asta asked.

Loki nodded his head and Asta sighed as she laid down in the bed. He sighed as he watched Asta quickly fall asleep before laying down next to her. The following morning, Loki awoke to hearing a knock on the door. Asta was still fast asleep so he carefully removed himself from her bed and walked towards the front door. He opened the door and Thor smiled weakly as he was greeted with Loki's face.

"Good morning, Loki. Is Asta awake?" Thor asked.

Loki shook his head and Thor bit his lip as he chuckled nervously.

"Can I still come in?" Thor asked.

Loki nodded his head and moved to the side to allow Thor to enter the room. Loki closed the door after him and watched as Thor sat himself by the kitchen table. Thor looked up at Loki and gave him a reassuring smile as he pulled back the seat next to him. Loki sat next to him and averted his gaze.

"I heard Asta was sick. Is she better now?" Thor inquired.

Loki nodded his head and Thor let out a sigh of relief.

"I can't imagine what she must be going through. But, at least she has you to help her." Thor told him.

Loki chuckled as he nodded his head and Thor patted his back, causing Loki to finally look up at Thor.

"You look a little bit better, Loki." Thor commented.

Loki bowed his head as Thor smiled at his brother.

"But, you need to think about the future you have with her. I know you love her, Loki. She has lost her grandmother. She cares a lot for you. I don't know how she'll react to your death." Thor told him.

Loki glared at Thor and Thor scoffed.

"You must face reality, Loki. Because of your sentence, you will surely die in just a few years. Think of what will happen to her. Out of all the things she has lost, she doesn't deserve to lose you." Thor explained.

Loki knew Thor was right. He pulled out a pad and pencil and Thor furrowed his brow as he watched Loki write. Once he was finished, Loki handed the paper to Thor to read.

"You told her?" Thor asked.

Loki nodded his head several times and Thor swore he could see a gleam of delight in Loki's eyes.

"Well, what did she say? Did she accept your love?" Thor inquired.

Thor chuckled as Loki blushed while he nodded his head.

"Oh, I am so happy for you, Loki. From what I have seen, you two deserve to be with one another. She knows your pains in ways I never will. She understands you, much like mother did. After my talk with Asta, I will go to Odin and demand him to rethink his sentence so that your stitches may be removed and your gloves taken off. I hate to see you suffer this way. It hurts me as much as it hurts you, and I believe, even Asta." Thor explained.

Thor's eyes widened as he chuckled in surprise when Loki wrapped his arms around Thor's neck and held him tightly. Thor wrapped his arms around Loki and patted his back as Loki cried softly into his shoulder. Thor pulled Loki back and smiled at him.

"You are a good man, Loki. You always were." Thor said softly.

Loki put his head down as Thor pulled his hands away and sighed.

"I was a fool to walk out of that room and allow Odin to do what he did to you. I should have stayed and fought. Can you ever forgive me?" Thor asked.

Loki looked up at Thor and examined his face carefully, seeing that his eyes were filled with tears ready to be shed and his brow furrowed. Loki closed his eyes as he nodded his head and now it was Thor's turn to wrap Loki in his arms and embrace him.

"I will help you, Loki. I do not want to see you die. I would hate myself forever if I knew you died because of all our foolishness. It pains me when I embrace you, feeling your bones against me. Your cheekbone cuts into my shoulder and I hate it. I want my brother back and I will fight for it." Thor told him.

Loki sniffled as more tears fell from his eyes. As he went to wipe his tears away, Thor grabbed his wrists and Loki widened his eyes in shock.

"These gloves will come off. You have my word." Thor said softly.

Loki nodded his head and Thor let his hands go.

"How is she?" Thor asked.

Loki gave Thor a look and Thor chuckled nervously.

"Is Asta feeling better?" Thor rephrased his question.

Loki nodded his head and Thor smiled brightly.

"Was she pleased to hear of her grandmother's murderers being captured?" Thor inquired.

Before Loki could nod his head, movement in the corner of his eyes caught his attention.

"Are they in the prisons?" Asta asked.

The two turned to look at Asta as she stood in the doorway.

"Yes, they are." Thor replied.

"May I...see them?" Asta inquired.

"Why?" Thor asked as his face scrunched up in confusion.

"When my mother, father, and siblings were killed, I was full of anger like I was now. I wanted to hurt people. When they found their murderers, they brought them to me. I looked in their eyes and I forgave them and all my troubles left me. I wasn't angry. I swore on that day that I would never hurt another soul. I don't want to feel angry anymore." Asta explained.

Thor slowly nodded his head and Asta smiled weakly. She laid her hand against the doorframe and she sighed. Loki rushed to her side as she put her hand on her head and chuckled.

"I'm sorry. I'm not supposed to be out of bed." Asta said.

"Well, when you are better, I shall take you to them." Thor told her.

"May Loki accompany me?" Asta asked.

"Of course." Thor replied.

Loki led Asta back into the bed and held her hand as he did. Thor walked in after them and closed the door behind him.