Lights and Lanterns (Can't Go Back Now 5)

This is for my friend, Bree. ☺

"Pwede bang huwag ng matapos ito?" Alden suddenly blurted, saying it like a man that he truly is to begin with. He even has his eyes as his greatest ally. It spoke of one thing: his growing admiration for the girl whose just inches away from him.

One word: surreal.

For the months that he has known her, she's been like a mystery...a welcome change. Her giggling ways, infectious smile and just that very amiable personality, one that just seems to hold no fear when it comes to being herself. This has turned out to be a rarity for him and everyday he wakes up looking forward to a new side of that mystery that he will soon discover.

Maine was left wordless for a minute, thinking how is it even possible for them to share the same thoughts; looking at his eyes and seeing her own reflection on it was was something that she cannot suffice, not in words, not in her actions, not even with the strong beating of her heart.

One word: magical.

"May problema ba?" he reluctantly asked.

"Wala, it's just that...nung bata ako..."

Alden smiled interfering the latter's sentence.

"Just go on nakikinig ako," he gamely assured.

"Nung bata ako, pangarap ko 'to yung maisayaw ng isang katulad mo. I dreamed of lights, yung pinaka-matingkad, I imagined having flying lanterns around, dancing for all the world to see...yung dramatic yun effect and I'm wearing the corsage thing na I'll wait na mag-yellow sa ref...for the weeks and months ahead, taking with it a memory of a night that I wish..."

"You wish na?" urging her to continue.

"Wag na...corny na eh, upo na tayo kanina pa nila tayo pinapanood oh," Meng answered passively.

"Hmm no, ayoko dito lang tayo," he smilingly insisted.

"Alden naman eh..." she pleaded meekly, taking her hands off his.

She was about to turn away when he did something that completely silence everyone in the venue, including herself.

He grabbed her by the hand, taking her into his arms for a hug.

She did not even know how she is going to react at first but then he began singing in her ears.

Alam kong kailan lang tayo nagkatagpo...ngunit para lang sa'yo, ayaw nang lumayo.

"Al-den...hmm naka ahh...nakatingin na sila talaga sa atin..."

It was evident from Meng's voice that she trying her best to stay calm in spite of her now rumbling nerves.

"Ito lang, kahit ito lang Meng...ang tagal tagal kong hindi naging ganito kasaya. I've almost forgotten that this would be even possible," he whispered.

Sure, there were murmurs going around, the stunt that he managed to pull off may have fueled all those but Maine for the life of her couldn't care less now on what the people around them thinks. She then closed her eyes, Alden took her to a dream, it all felt like she was 8 again wondering for herself if princes and princesses were real and if fairy tales do exist.

"Why?" it was now her turn to ask.

He just shook his head, unsure of what to say.

Sana nama'y ipagpatawad mo
Ang malabis na kabilisan ko
Ngunit ang lahat ng ito'y totoo.

The song ended capping off a night too unforgettable for words.

But for Maine and Alden, this is only just the beginning.

☺☺☺

She got home around 15 minutes before the clock hits 2AM.

Checking on her phone, Ryan messaged her a picture of the two of them hugging. The latter naughtily captioned it: "Iba na 'to!"

Her gaze stayed glued at the picture for minutes, a myriad of thoughts was now beginning to take over.

Saving the photo to her phone's gallery, she heaved a sigh of relief.

Meng grew up feeling inferior about herself. She has kept her circle small. Earlier, Alden confessed to her how he cannot remember himself to be this happy. In truth and unknown to Alden, he was doing Meng a favor too. He was teaching her to trust people's intentions. He's making her realize how she alone is more than enough. It was then that she felt tears muster at the corner of her eyes.

It was becoming real for her.

Hi Alden,

Thank you for tonight, for a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

-Menggay

She attached the photo and message it to him, hoping he was still up and able to read it at once.

Somewhere, someone's smile was unwavering.

Truth be told, it was becoming real for him too.

"One of the biggest forms of flattery is knowing that just by being your normal, wonderful self, you make someone fall in love with you."

☺☺☺