Chapter Three: The Three Banned Words

Gale drops his back pack onto the floor and begins to walk around. “Nice place” Gale says, his eyes scanning the place. He strides into the kitchen with me closely him. Suddenly, he stops dead in his tracks. “Hey” Gale says dryly. But it wasn’t towards me, it was to Peeta. Peeta stands in the doorway of the kitchen, looking over Gale’s shoulder towards me with one of those 'You got to be kiddig me' looks. ‘I’m sorry’ I mouth pleadingly . Peeta shook his head disapprovingly, his eyes straining in a deadly glare towards Gale.

                                “Well this is gonna be awkward isn’t it?” Haymitch says, breaking the odd silence. All three of us turned around to look at Haymitch. “I should go now” he says, backing up to the front door, a beer bottle tight in his grip. “You three have fun sorting this...uh.. problem out”. And in less than a second, he made a clear break for it. Now it’s only me, Gale and Peeta. 

Just wonderful.

                                “I’ll be upstairs” Peeta says, his tone implying directly to Gale. Peeta walks past Gale, giving him a little shove on the shoulder. Just by the crease in Gales forehead, I could tell he wants to body slam Peeta on the floor. But if Gale dares to put even a toe out of line, he's out of here.  Peeta jogs up the stairs, and into Jaz and Reece’s bedroom (Prims old bedroom).

                                “And if it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t be alive…” Gale mumbles sharply. Gale did help Peeta escape the Capitol and come back to District 13. He risked his life for Peeta. But it wasn’t specifically for Peeta... It was for me. Gale knew right off the bat that I was in love with Peeta. Apparently to him, it was written all over my face. Well I guess he was right, because I can finally admit that I am without a doubt. 

                                Gale walks into the kitchen and then made his way over to the main lounge. He lays down on the couch, acting as  if its his house to begin with. He stares at me with a penetrative mien, wanting me to sit down with him. Yeah, like I am going to sit next to the jerk that murdered my sister. Pulling together my confidence, I stride over to the lounge and take a seat across from him on the opposite couch. Luckily, a coffee table separates us. 

                                I have the urge to know what Gales been up to. Is he married? Does he have kids? Where does he live now? Is he staying in District 12 for good? I don't say that though. I decide to come out with a simple question that doesn’t sound like I am really dying to hear what he has to say. “So, what have you been up to?”

                                “Nothing really” Gale answers in a bored tone. He’s killing me. If Gale knows me so well, then why doesn’t he see that I do want to know what’s been going on his life. I nod slowly and lay on the couch. “What about you?” Gale asks

. “Same as you” I retort flatly. There is not one bit of  interest in my voice.

                                “Come on Catnip, you had to been up to something in the past 8 years.” Gale says, biting back a chortle. “Same for you” I shoot back, a little bit to quickly.

                                “Your right” Gale says, sitting up on the couch. “Lately I been traveling around the Districts. I joined the Military. I got divorced. I have one kid. His name is Aaron.  He lives with his mom..."

                                “Oh” is all I  manage to say.  He just gave me a summary of his life story.  “Your turn” he says, pointing at me.