Chapter Eight: Make Me Proud, Sweetheart

I let go of Peeta’s face and drop my hands down to my side, keeping my eyes locked on his. His lips slowly curl up into a warm smile. “That goes for me too” Peeta says, growing a larger smile. I take his hands in mine, rubbing my thumb along the top of his hand. “I love you so much, Peeta. Now and always” I say, swinging our arms lightly from side to side. “I love you too, Katniss. More than you could ever imagine” Peeta responds, pulling my body to his. He let’s go of one of my hands and wraps his arm around my waist, brushing his lips against mine. “Who knew being in a bathroom would be so romantic” Peeta chuckles, finding my lips and gently kisses me. I close my eyes and lay my hand on his chest, feeling his soft lips against mine.

          I slightly pull away, our lips brushing up against one another. “Anywhere I am with you is romantic” I say teasingly, pecking his lips. Peeta lightly laughs and releases his hand from my waist. “We should go back downstairs” he says, moving towards the door. “You sure you’re okay?” I ask, following him towards the door. Peeta nods and opens the door, walking out of the bathroom and into the hallway.

         “You know, when you kicked that table, you cut Gale’s hand. I apologized for you. He understands completely” I say, stopping at the stair case. Peeta’s eyes go wide as the color drains away from his face. He bites his bottom lip, shifting his eyes from side to side. “I hurt him?” he asks , frowning deeply. “Not that badly. He’s okay” I say, reassuringly. Peeta shakes his head and walks down the stairs, still frowning. I slightly sigh and follow him, hoping this doesn’t turn out badly.

         Peeta almost runs into the kitchen, looking around for Gale. Gale sits at the table as Johanna pats his hand, packing up the first aid kit. “All done” she says, standing up and faces Peeta, gulping before she speaks. “Done kicking tables?” she says, crossing her arms over her chest, smirking. Peeta sighs and swiftly walks past her, sitting down next to Gale.

       “I’m sorry” Peeta says automatically, glancing at Gale’s hand. Gale just shakes his hand, making a helpless gesture. “You don’t need to apologize. None of this was your fault.” Peeta continues to stare at Gale’s hand, nodding slowly. Gale stands up, patting Peeta’s back with his good hand. “Really, it’s alright. No need to feel bad. This is the Capitols fault” Gale says. “And we’re getting revenge” Gale adds, grinning darkly. He soon then says his goodbyes and walks out, telling us he would be back in a couple hours.

-------------------------

           “I’ll take good care of ‘em” Haymitch says, nodding as he beams down at Jaz and Reece. I narrow my eyes slightly at him, letting go of Jaz and Reece’s hands, letting them roam around the house. “I hope so. I’m counting on you Haymitch” I say, not sure if this is a good idea. “We’ll hopefully be back in a couple weeks. If not..” I mumble, trailing off. Haymitch holds up his finger in disagreement. “Don’t even think about that” he says. “I know you can do this. You did it once, sweetheart. You can do it again”

          Haymitch is always the one I can go for if I’m in need of a pep talk. He may not be the friendliest guy around, but he knows how to whip some confidence in you. Whether he is rude or nasty, he knows what he’s talking about. Well…most of the time. When he’s drunk, all he does is talk nonsense.

          “I know I can do it to. Especially since I have a team. But still…” I say, looking up at Haymitch. “If I don’t come back, please take care of them.. I don’t want them to end up like me.”

       Haymitch nods, watching my children play around my house. “Of course. I’m here for you and Peeta.” I smile brightly, and wrap my arms around him. “Thank you so much, Haymitch” I say, knowing that I can count on him. Haymitch moves around in my arms, pushing me away. “You’re welcome sweetheart. No need for the hugs” he grumbles, brushing himself off.

      I laugh and say my goodbyes to Jaz and Reece, telling them to listen to Haymitch at all times and to behave. Honestly, there was no reason in saying that. They never listen. But, it’s worth a try.

     I make my way to the front door, holding back tears. Saying goodbye to my kids…to Haymitch...to everyone is just to hard. I slowly reach out for the door knob, pulling the door open. All of this reminds me of my first Hunger Games. I remember saying goodbye to my mother and Prim, knowing that I probably would never see them again. I also remember saying farewell to Gale..

      I shake my head, erasing my thoughts of the past, trying to stick to the present. As I walk out the door, somebody grabs me by the shoulder. I spin around, seeing Haymitch.

I smile weakly, feeling my hot tears escape from my eyes, drizzling down my cheeks. Haymitch grabs me by both shoulders and embraces me for a hug, holding me tightly. I hug him back, sobbing in his shoulder.

“I know you can do this, sweetheart. Make me proud”