Chapter Four: Attacker

We can run away together. Just me and you”.

                Those words began to haunt me. What if I was never chosen to be a tribute in the hunger games? Would I ever fall for Peeta? Or would I run away with Gale? Would I be with Gale instead?

                I pounced at the door and slammed it shut, leaving the words Gale just said behind.                      

                “I love you Katniss” 

                “No. I don’t love you Gale” would be my response. But I couldn’t say it. That’s horrible. I just told Gale that I don’t hate him. That maybe we can become friends again.  So I couldn’t just say that. If Peeta heard that, me and Gale would both be dead.

                My fingers became very slippery as I tried to lock the door. Knowing Gale, he would probably want to talk about it. I eventually got the door to lock and walked down the hall cautiously. Peeta was in the same place he was before, giving me a devilish smile. On Peeta, you really don’t see those smiles often. He’s usually so nice and caring, but towards Gale, Peeta would kill him. “Thanks for making things awkward” I say, sitting on the spot Gale sat just a few moments before he said he loves me. “You’re very welcome” Peeta says cheerfully. “I’m glad that bastard left. What were you guys talking about anyways?”

                “Catching up on each other’s lives.” I say. “Which was every interesting because I wanted to know what was up with him”

                “Well what’s he been up to?” Peeta asks, moving his position on the couch.

                “Well he told me he got married to Madge. He got divorced a year later”

                Peeta started to laugh. “He can’t even stay married for a year”

                I shushed Peeta up and began to talk again. “He has a child. And he’s moving back here” I trailed off. Peeta’s face shut down. His jaw clenched tightly.  The color in his face began to flush away into a pale Peeta. His face looked disgusted with the words I just said.

                And he’s moving back here

                Why would I mention that? I just don’t think when I start to talk. It would have been better if Peeta just found out on his own. Then maybe I wouldn’t feel so horrible, since I just ruined Peeta’s mood. Well…Gale ruined it first. So I’m really not the one to blame in this situation.

                “It’s not like he’s even close to us Peeta” I say in a comforting way. I cross over to Peeta and sit next to him. I put my hand on his and lean against his shoulder. “And it’s not like we’re going to see him all the time. Paylor is enlarging District 12, since were so small. There will be so much room for us and him to be apart. Don’t worry”.

                Peeta nodded in agreement. “Yeah, your right. We won’t have to see him all the time. But I’m just saying, if you bring him in here again, I’ll make a scene.”

                I rolled my eyes. “Yeah okay” I say playfully. Peeta would never make a bad scene. Everybody still loves him for being so calm and peaceful. Well not in the arena. But outside from that place, he doesn’t have a bad side.

                ************

                “I’ll be back in a few hours” I say, running up the stairs. I decided on going into the woods to hunt. Hunting always helps me think. I opened my bedroom closet and grabbed my bows and arrows. Beete decided to design a new one for me, since the one he gave me got destroyed in the war. This bow was way more advanced than the other one he gave me.