"Chuck Berry!"

It was the morning of October 17th 1961 and the Wind was blowing Strong in Dartford. It was cold and I was wearing my white turtleneck sweater. I tried not to get my hair messed up by the wind - failed.

Dartford Station wasn't that far from my house, so I go there, by foot, every single morning, to get the train to college. In cold and windy days like this, the way isn't that nice. It's the end of the year, and the winter, getting closer; and as the days were passing by, the cold was getting stronger, but it actually pleased me.

When I arrived at the station, there were still a few minutes until my train leaves; so I sat and started to read my book - Collected Poems 1909-1935 by T.S. Eliot. I took my eyes off the book for a second and I saw a man standing there, a little far from me, with messy dark hair holding a guitar - Keith.

We had studied together in the Primary - wentworth country - in 1950, until both of us changed schools five years later. I always see him here. Sometimes we greet, smile or something, but we never really talk.

I don't remember that much about Keith. I remember that he was a retiring and shy boy, fan of cowboys and guitars, short and had big ears. The older boys used to laugh at him during the whole period we studied together.

After all, we used to be close somehow. We weren't best friends or something like that, but we used to talk, hang out with two or three other friends, and invite each other to our birthday parties. And now, I see him every day and we were almost as strangers. I think he was too shy to start a conversation. And I was too.

He is coming my way.

I intended I had not noticed and started to read again.

-Hello - he said.

-Hi. - I looked at him, taking my eyes off the book.

Maybe he is finally going to say something.

-My train hasn't arrived yet and I don't want to wait for it standing here. Can I sit there?

-Oh. Yes, of course.

He sat by my side and stayed quiet.

So that's it? Will we act like strangers forever? Anyway, it was the longest conversation we had in the last six years.

-Cool guitar - I said and immediately realized it was pretty stupid.

-Thanks - he smiled - my grandfather Gus gave it to me when I was 10. It's Jane, right? - I nodded - you probably don't remember, my name is Keith Richards.

-I know - I chuckled.

So I heard a voice from behind us.

-Keith?

-Mike! - Keith got up to hug him. - What's up, man? I never saw you here before...

-That's because my train for college leaves earlier. But I'm late so I lost it.

-Damn! Where do you study?

-London School of Economics.

-Economy? It sounds like crap.

-It's not that bad.

He looked behind Keith's shoulder and saw me.

-Oh, this is Jane. Do you remember her?

I raised my head and looked at him. I hadn't recognized him until then.

-Of course! Jane Parker, right? - He came my way.

-Yes. Michael Philip? - He nodded.

Michael was from our class in primary. His father was a Physical Education teacher, fairly successful. A little above of me and Keith on the social ladder, Mike - how we used to call him - had done well in the primary final tests - the feared Eleven Plus - so he was admitted in Dartford Grammar Secondary school, getting better studying opportunities. I haven't seen him since then.

-Chuck Berry! - Richards yelled, when he saw that Michael was carrying the most recent Berry's record, Rockin' at the Hops. - I must admit, you and a friend of mine must be the only other ones in Dartford that ever heard about Berry.

-Heard about? Are you joking? - He laughed - I have all the records he has released so far.

-What? But they aren't even released in UK!

-I wrote directly to Chess Records in Chicago asking for copies. These just arrived by the mail. The other one is  The best of Muddy Waters.

-No way! Muddy Waters too? I thought I was the only guy in the southeast of England that even knew anything about this stuff.

-My father went to the United States last year - I said - I asked him to bring me a Berry and a Buddy Holly record!

They faced me for a moment.

-You like Berry? And Holly? - Michael practically shouted - what's happening? We should have never stopped to talk! We have a lot in common - Keith agrees.

-You like Buddy Holly too? - I asked him.

-If I like him? I love him! I went to his concert when I was about 15. He died a few months later. He was amazing.

We stayed quiet for a few seconds, until Keith suddenly says:

-Hey! Wouldn't you like to go to my house, have a cup of tea some day?

-Why don't we go to my house? I mean now. - Michael smiled.

-I don't know - I said - I don't think I should miss the class.

-Come on, Jane! - Michael insisted - You will only lose one day of class. It's not that much. What about you, Keith? What do you think?

-Sure! It looks great!

-Won't your parents complain about the presence of friends in your house... and in the class time?

-My parents aren't home. You won't disturb.

So I agreed and we got the next train to a beautiful Dartford suburb called Wilmington, where was Michael Jagger's house.

Made a set for this chapter: