Chapter 1: Prank Calls

"Ooh, ooh I been thinking about all the things that we could do. But I don't know if I could get down wit you. It's got me contemplating. I don't think I'm ready.."

- Ooh by Cherish

**********

"Oh, God! I think her hand just moved!" Dylan heard a familiar voice yell. Is that... Daphnie? "Doctor!!" the voice screamed once again.

Dylan's eyelids felt sticky and very heavy, but she finally managed to pry them open. Although, when a bright, white, light attacked her vision she shut them again. "Try again, but slower this time," another voice said calmly. It was a male, but not familiar. Dylan did as she was told and managed to open her eyes to squint a little.

"Wh—" Dylan's hoarse voice was cut off by Daphnie's finger being put against her lips.

"Don't talk," Daphnie said. Dylan nodded in agreement once she realized how bad her throat was actually hurting. The doctor was a short, feeble, white man. He looked frail, but seemed to dominate the room. It was comforting nonetheless.

"Here, take this..." the doctor put a small cup of water in Dylan's shaking hand and she quickly threw it back. Her throat was now a little more clear, but she was still parched. "I guess you can talk to her now. I'll just be outside. Call me back in when you're done so I can talk to her," the doctor smiled before leaving the room.

"That's Dr. Matthews..." Daphnie trailed off and Dylan sighed. She knew Daphnie all too well. Daphnie is ten years older than Dylan, but they've been friends since Dylan was in grade school. Daphnie always looked out for her, but Dylan always knew when she was hiding something from her.

"You know I don't like that surprise bullshít, so just cut to the chase," Dylan said, while simultaneously giving Daphnie an eye-roll.

Daphnie looked at her hesitantly and Dylan grew angry. Seeing this, Daphnie quickly began recalling the story. "Well, number one, you've been in here for a year from a coma. You have a gunshot wound to the chest and a head injury. That shot almost cost you your li—" Dylan quickly cut off her rambling.

"I've been what!?" she yelled in pure disbelief, attempting to sit up. A small snug at her left wrist stopped her actions. Her eyes instantly followed. She hadn't realized she was handcuffed to the hospital bed rail.

"... Yes. You heard correct. Um also, you're going to have to go to trial for being an accessory to the robbery that bank a year ago," Daphnie chuckled uneasily as Dylan's face went from disbelief to speechless. By now Dylan's mouth was hanging wide open. "I know, I know. Crazy, right? But I'm gonna' get you out of this. I get to be your lawyer," she smiled.

Dylan breathing grew heavier as she looked over at Daphnie in rage. "You better get me out of this... Or else..." she spat as she tugged at her wrist, and Daphnie nodded nervously.

-

Eight Months Later...

"I'm free at last, free at last. Thank God, almighty, I'm free at last!" Dylan sang as she breathed in the fresh air, and slowly walked towards the graveled road ahead.

For good behavior Dylan was let out of the detention center early and she was definitely loving every minute of it. "I'm 17 years old and I feel GOOD!" she yelled at the top of her lungs just as a black Lincoln pulled up next to her. She looked at the tinted windows skeptically as they rolled down.

"Hey, lil' mama. You need a ride?" a voice said through the cracked window. As the window came down further she noticed a million dollar smile followed.