Chapter 7: Recovery

"Someone once told me, babe, when the tide gets high, you just get low. Hold your breath and take it slow. Yes, I might get wet. I might get thrown, but I'll resurface all on my own."

- Be Alright by Kehlani

**********

Dylan had been locked up in her room for three days now. She missed school, but Dani and Brandy would bring classwork and homework to her. Sometimes they would slide it under her door and other times they would just do it for her.

After her attack, Dylan didn't want to leave the house, let alone her room. She felt too vulnerable, and the police told her they hadn't found Wesley yet. She felt until he was found she wouldn't be safe. It was hard to be away from everyone, but it was even harder to focus on her school work knowing he was still out there.

There was suddenly a loud knock at her door, bringing her out of her thoughts. "You need to come out of there," Chris said and when she didn't answer he sighed. "Please..." he begged and she still didn't answer.

"No," she replied quickly and hugged her knees before turning to face the TV. She grabbed her Firestick remote and clicked on HBO Max to watch Harry Potter, but it was hard to focus on watching it. Chris sighed again and she heard him walk away.

"You give me no choice..." she heard him yell and then her TV went to a black screen.

"Ughh!" she huffed loudly in realization.

She stood quickly to her feet and cut on her laptop on her desk. It made the noise it always does when it turns on and she turned towards the door to see if he heard it. When she figured he hadn't heard she faced the screen again and clicked the Google Chrome icon.

Diagnose Connection Problems. She huffed again knowing she would soon die of boredom. "I turned your internet off," he called out in a song and she could hear the smirk in his voice.

Jerk.

Dylan climbed back in her bed and fell back, landing on her pillows. She reached over grabbed one of her old teddy bears nearby to put it over her face. She started swinging and kicking the air wildly as she screamed into the furriness of the bear. After she was done with her tantrum she stood up to pace around the room in deep thought.

-

Two more days had passed by and Dylan still didn't want to come out of her room. She barely wanted to eat and everyone was more worried than before. Dani and Brandy would bring her homework, classwork, and even cards for her to slide under her door as usual but after the first 10 cards Dylan never read another one. She didn't want sympathy and according to her she didn't deserve their sympathy. It made her feel sick and more worse than ever.

It was my fault, after all. I went with him. I was so stupid to trust him.

When everyone was gone on Sunday, Dylan decided to sneak out of her room to the bathroom. She would only eat or use the bathroom when no one was around or when everyone was sleep. On Sundays she knew Chris and Dani would be at church until at least 12:30 and it was now 10:30. She went to the bathroom and when she was walking out she ran into a brick wall, falling back towards the toilet and sink. Her head was buzzing as she heard the rush of water flow down the toilet.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" she yelped.

"Dyls?" he looked down at her.

She groaned in frustration. "Chris..."

He helped her to her feet and hugged her while simultaneously spinning her around. He put her back down after awhile and she gave him a grim smile.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he took one more look at her and basically dragged her to the living room. She knew it was no point in objecting. He told her to sit down just as Brandy and Danielle walked through the front door.