Chapter 8: What Now?

"Whatever it is, I feel like it's laughing at me through a the glass of a two-sided world. Whatever it is, it's just laughing at me. And I just want to scream."

- What Now by Rihanna

***********

Dylan wiped her face and sighed before approaching the big window. She was clearly nervous.

"This is gonna' be quick," said Detective Armani before lightly ushering her to sit in a nearby chair. "Which one do we need to arrest? All you gotta' do is point him out and then... BAM! He's gone. Poof!"

Dylan looked at him awkwardly. "Alright, but enough with the sound effects," she tried hard not to roll her eyes because he was only trying to help. The detective nodded and Dylan faced the line of suspects. Before she could even look at all of their faces she was pointing to number four. Fortunately, because she was emancipated she was able to do the line up with no parent or guardian.

"Okay, but are you su—" she cut him off.

"I knew you would say that... Of course I'm sure. Just put some Dexter's Laboratory glasses on him and he'll be complete. I have an excellent photogenic memory, detective."

He put his hands up in surrender. "Sorry. That's just protocol, ma'am. I didn't mean to offend you in any type of way," he said before looking over at the defense and prosecuting attorney.

"I'll be in touch," whispered the defense attorney before she walked out. The detective and the prosecutor smirked. Dylan realized that it must've been Wesley's attorney and since she pointed him out in the line up the next steps would probably be trial.

"Ma'am, you did great," exclaimed the detective.

Dylan only nodded. "But don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old," she smiled and he immediately sent her a smile back.

After further arrangements Dylan was finally able to leave. When she stepped outside she pulled her peacoat closer to her chest as the L.A. breeze swept through. She walked to the nearby bus stop and waited ten minutes for the bus to barrel down the street. When her bus stopped in front of her she stepped on, paid her fee, and sat down in a free spot. Her thoughts were all over the place so when she almost missed her stop she had to hurry up and pull the string. Once she was off she thanked the driver and walked the rest of the way home.

Even though they got him she was still extremely paranoid. Every little thing got her attention now. She was scared he would just pop out in front of her.

She started to speed walk and by the time she reached the apartment building and got into her bedroom she was out of breath.

She soon relaxed and kicked her shoes off. Nobody was home; Chris had to work and Danie was probably at Keith's house. Dylan had the whole house - well, apartment to herself.

When they did get home though they asked her how it went and she told them. They all chit chatted for a while and the day went pretty smoothly after that.

-

Vanessa slid her phone from under her pillow to look at the time on her phone for the second time in 15 minutes. It was 2:30 am. Once again her husband was getting dressed to leave the house in the middle of the night, probably to go fúck a different female. She sighed quietly, trying yo pretend she was still asleep. She felt the bed dip and he kissed her cheek softly.

"I love you," Cameron whispered and stood up before looking at himself in the full body mirror. After one last glance he exited the bedroom. He was unaware that she was awake... and crying.