Chapter 17: Undecided

"Nice to meet you, Rhea," Jerome said. "How old are you?"

"I'm thirteen," I said, my head high, trying to calm myself down. I wouldn't cry again in front of an audience. Especially one I didn't know. "Who are you?"

He smiled softly. "I'm the mayor of Gray Birch. I don't believe I've seen you around here before. Did your family just move here?"

Shaking my head, I said, "No. I'm here with my friends."

"What brings you to our quaint little town?" he asked, and I became suspicious. Why did he want to know so much? Why so many questions. Then I saw the genuine curiosity in his eyes and I decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt for the mayor to know a bit. Maybe he could help us!

I sighed. "To be honest, we're looking for my mother. She disappeared a couple of days ago, and no one has been able to find any clues about her disappearance. We only know she was kidnapped..."

Jerome put a hand over his mouth. "Oh my. That's awful! How many of there are you here?"

"Seven."

Jerome started to pace. "And the police haven't found anything? Not even a trace?"

"Nope. They're still searching, but..." I felt tears pricking at the corners of my eyes again. I squeezed my eyes shut and made sure none of the moisture escaped. "... they haven't found anything. That's why my friends and I are here. To see if we can find anything."

Thinking for a few seconds, Jerome said, trying to make conversation, "What does your mother look like?" He looked at me. "I'm going to guess light skinned and blonde?"

I shook my head. "Nope. Tan skinned and dark brown hair."

He blinked a few times. "Okay... I guess your father must be blond then..."

"No, he's brunette too." 

"Were you adopted?"

"Nope."

Jerome placed the fingers on his right hand on his forehead for a few seconds before shaking his head. "Never mind. That's not important. What's important is that you're here all alone, with no adult guardians at all. Do you guys have enough money? It costs an awful lot to stay in a hotel with so many people."

I smiled. "We're fine. We've managed this far."

"But your mother could be anywhere in the world. Why would you stay here in such a small town? I'm not saying that you shouldn't come here, but... of all the places in the world, you chose Gray Birch?"

I shrugged. "It turns out that my mother had been here many years ago, when she met my father. Far before I was born."

Jerome looked at me for the longest time before saying, "How old are your parents?"

"Thirty-eight." I was confused as to why he was asking what age my parents were. I mean, what did it have to do with my mother's disappearance?

"May I ask what your parents names are?" Jerome looked at me with barely veiled curiosity. 

I started to back away. I was so stupid! How could I know that this man wasn't a monster or something? That he wasn't the one who kidnapped my mother?

"I'm sorry. I have to go..." I stuttered before taking off away from him. 

He called out after me. "Wait! Rhea! Come back!"

I only ran faster.