Chapter One

Chapter One:

Chester walked down the hallway towards the living room, where he could hear the TV playing. His father often left the TV on in the morning. He was always in a rush in the morning to get to work. He normally woke up early so he could watch his morning show, and would be so immersed in it and he wouldn't even realize how the time had flown by.

Chester walked over to the couch, which sat still in front of the TV. He grabbed the remote and turned the television off. His mother was still sleeping and would definitely wake up if the TV had been on for longer. Chester didn't have any desire to deal with his mother so early in the morning. They didn't get along very well ever since he came out to her. His father was more supportive and understanding of the two. His father told him to just give his mother some time. She would soon come to her senses. He was still her son, even if he loved people of his own gender.

Chester had given his mother about a months' time. He avoided her as best he could. He stayed out late and snuck into his room through the window. His father knew he wasn't out doing drugs or other bad things. That's how much his father trusted him. He was scared to show his face to his mother. What if she would never accept him for who he is and what he loves? What if she showed up at his school and told him that she didn't love him anymore in front of everyone? Chester tried to stop thinking of his mother as some cruel woman, but after the way she reacted to him coming out of the closet, he couldn't help but be afraid.

He strolled to the kitchen after slipping on his backpack and grabbed some cereal from the cupboard as quietly as he could. His mother tended to sleep a bit deeper than other people, but he was still very careful. Confronting her in the morning would not end well, seeing as she wasn't exactly a morning person. He poured some cereal into a bowl and then poured some milk. He glanced towards the hallway, anxiety crawling up his chest when he heard a door open. His mother wasn't awake was she? Perhaps it was just a bathroom break. He swallowed, grabbed the cereal bowl and hurried out of the house. He couldn't face her. Not yet. He wasn't ready.

He ate his cereal on the sidewalk a block from his house. He looked at his surroundings as he ate. The air was cool and a calm breeze would occasionally pass by. The sky was a bright grey, so bright that it hurt Chester's eyes when he first went outside. He finished his cereal and pondered whether he should go back home and sneak it into his room or just head to school. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and looked at the time. He sighed, pushing himself up off of the sidewalk. It was time to head to school. He would just rinse it off in the bathroom.

School was one place that Chester actually didn't mind going to. He convinced himself that it was because he enjoyed learning, but his best friend Rosa was convinced it was because of the guy that he liked. Chester adamantly insisted that Avernus, the boy he liked, was not the reason. Sure, he was great to look at, but he wasn't the only reason he enjoyed school. School was a place where he could let himself go and pour his soul into his work. Plus, it helped him avoid his mother. He wasn't sure how long he was going to be able to do so, but he knew he could continue for the meantime. He was stubborn, which was a trait he refused to believe was inherited from his mother.

"Hello human." This was Rosa's greeting to Chester as he walked up to her. She gave him a weird look when she noticed that he was holding a bowl with a spoon.

"Don't ask."

"Alright," she eyed the bowl a moment longer.

"Seriously."