Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:

Chester stayed up all night reading the book that Avernus had shown him. He'd been right about the twist. Chester definitely had not been expecting that. When he finished the book, he set it down on his nightstand and laid on his side staring at it with a stupid grin on his face. He was so happy that he had become friends with Avernus. The more time he spent with him, the deeper he fell for him. He just hoped that his feelings for him wouldn't ruin their friendship. He was going to have to keep his feelings a secret. Avernus was probably straight.

He closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Avernus had just finished one of the books that Chester had shown him. It was amazing. Yet again, he felt himself wanting more. How did Chester find such amazing books that made you want to throw it across the room because there wasn't anymore? He sighed and set the book down on top of the other books he'd checked out from the library. He was really excited for tomorrow, he would get to see Chester and discuss he books. He closed his eyes and smiled at the thought of talking to Chester.

"We're going to have guests over today mom, so you're going to have to make some juicy meat," Rosa said as she entered the kitchen. Ms. Mayor looked at her in surprise.

"Guests? If I'd known we were having guests I would have cleaned the place up a bit!" She exclaimed. Rosa rolled her eyes.

"The house looks fine mom, just make the bloody meat," Rosa said. Ms. Mayor scowled at her daughter.

"Who are these guests anyways?" She asked.

"The boy Chester is madly in love with and his best friend," she told her mother.

"Chester likes someone?" She asked, turning to look at Rosa.

"Yup, he's been in love with him for a long time now. It's why he couldn't return Alonzo's feelings."

Rosa's mom smiled. Chester was in love. It was going to be wonderful to watch him interact with the boy he liked. She remembered when Rosa had gotten all gussied up for Antonio. It was sad, but lovely to watch her daughter fall in love.

"What's the boy's name?"

"Avernus Valainis is his name. The other guy, his best friend, is Axenus," Rosa wiped down the kitchen island as her mother checked the freezer to see if they had any meat. She was in luck. They had plenty of meat. She took it out and set it into the fridge. She stood up and brushed her hands off on her apron.

Chester entered the kitchen in his pajamas. He looked at the two girls curiously. Ms. Mayor was grinning at him. He thought for a moment before dawned on him, "Rosa!" He complained.

"Chess is in love!" She laughed. Ms. Mayor ruffled his hair and cooed.

"How sweet," she chuckled. Chester almost wished his father was here so he wouldn't be surrounded by woman.

"Your daughter is evil," Chester whined. Ms. Mayor nodded.

"I know, I raised her well," she told him.

"You're both evil!" He grabbed a muffin from the fridge and fled from the kitchen. He heard them laughing like witches as he scurried into the living room.

He sat onto the couch and switched the TV on. The news was on. He heard the word 'dead' and decided to keep it on the channel. An image of a mangled body came onto the screen. Chester's stomach lurched, but that was because the image came on while he was in the middle of biting his muffin. The man was found in an alleyway in the city. Someone said that they'd seen a man dragging the mangled body into the alleyway, but the witness was unable to the man's face due to the fact that it was dark and it looked like the man was wearing a hood. It was strange, Chester though, there wasn't much murders at all in Shadowedge.