Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

Avernus listened to his surroundings closely. He listened to the heartbeat of a deer nearby. He listened to the sound of the calm wind as it lightly kissed his skin. The moss below him tickled his bare feet. The night was calm, and there were few stars up in the sky. He relied on his hearing and smell instead of his sight to hunt at night. He crept off of the moss covered rock and sniffed the air. The deer was closer. He listened closely and heard the sound of the deer's hooves touching the ground as it walked closer to the river. He could smell it, it was very close now. He smirked, his fangs elongating.

He leapt from his rock and pounced right on the deer. The deer let out a wail as he gripped its neck. It went silent as he twisted it. He felt bad, really did, but it was survival to the fittest when you weren't human. He leaned down and sunk his teeth into the deer's flesh. He felt the deer's hair touch his tongue, which was disgusting, but hey, you can't be picky.

After he was finished with his meal, he stood up and wiped his mouth. He left the deer for other animals in need of some food. He knew what it was like to be left hungry. His parents thought that leaving him alone with his uncontrollable thirst would be a great way to get him to feed. He didn't want to kill humans, so he disappeared into the woods and began killing poor animals. He didn't really want to kill either the humans or the animals, but he had to do what he had to do.

Lately, he realized, blood of deer and other creatures hasn't tasted as good as usual. This was very odd because he always enjoyed blood, well the taste that is. He made his way towards his apartment. He made sure it was near the woods so that it would be easier for him to hunt. He tried to keep to himself. He had a couple of good friends. His best friend was also a vampire, as they liked to call themselves. They had multiple abilities, like Avernus could catch things on fire. Except, they were different than the stories you heard about vampires. Vampires aren't supposed to have beating hearts, but Avernus's heart would beat. It just beat very slowly.

Axenus, Avernus's best friend didn't like his flame ability, because he didn't have it. Axenus had the ability to control nature, which Avernus hated because he was often surrounded by nature when he wasn't at school. Sometimes Axenus would playfully summon roots to trip Avernus so he could steal his prey, but he would share it with afterwards. They met when Avernus was hunting a big buck. Axenus had also had his eyes on the buck and they both lunged for it at the same time and ended up killing it when they landed on the poor creature. They fought at first, but realized they were in the same boat. They had other abilities, but some of them they just didn't share.

Avernus didn't really have many friends before he met Axenus. Sure, he had his aunt and his little brother, but they weren't exactly fun to hang out with. His little brother was always getting into trouble too, which didn't exactly make him want to spend time with him. He felt bad though, because their parents made him go out on his own, he left his little brother. He still feels guilty about leaving his brother.

"Brooding again?" Avernus glanced up at Axenus. He was leaning against the railing of the stairs that led up to their apartment. He had a cigarette in his mouth. Avernus didn't understand why he smoked, it had a displeasing taste and it smelled terrible. He was glad that it didn't affect him like it affected humans.

"Hunting," was all Avernus said in response. Axenus chuckled. He was always making comments about how gloomy Avernus was when he wasn't around people, especially when he didn't see Chester. Avernus denied that he had any emotions whatsoever regarding Chester. Chester was just a human that he found interesting. His heart was always racing when he was around. He reminded him of a deer, small and skittish.

"Are you thinking about Chester again? You've got this dopey look on your face," Axenus teased. Avernus scowled at him. Sometimes his best friend could be so obnoxious. It was a wonder how they even got along. Avernus was brooding and Axenus was always cracking jokes and teasing him.