Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

The following morning, Chester woke up to a storm of violet and emerald staring down at him. He sat up and looked around, rubbing his eyes sleepily. He noticed that he was still in Avernus's apartment, except it was morning. He hadn't even had any supper last night. He looked down at Avernus, who was watching him in amusement. He leaned over him and pressed a soft, chaste morning kiss to his lips.

"Yesterday was amazing, minus the part where Axenus came barging in," Chester murmured. Avernus nodded and sat up, stretching his arms out.

"Suppose we should go see what he's up to. I remember he mentioned something about a guest," Avernus yawned. Chester hauled himself off of the bed and let out a loud yawn. He felt so tired even though he got a lot of sleep. Maybe it was because he'd gotten too much sleep.

They made their way out into the living room. Chester felt Avernus tense up beside him. He noticed a boy sitting on the couch. His hair was black and his eyes were a mix between green and grey. He had a small lanky figure, he looked to be about 14 or 15. His skin was pale as if it hadn't seen the sunlight much at all.

"Alair, what are you doing here?" Avernus blurted out. The boy stood up and looked at Avernus. His eyes showed little to no emotion at all.

"I have come to see how you are doing, brother." The boy's gaze turned to Chester, "is this your soul mate?" He asked.

"Who told you that?" Avernus narrowed his eyes. He stepped in front of Chester in a protective stance.

"I've found that Axenus can be quite informative," Alair murmured. His voice was smooth, like a lullaby. Avernus gritted his teeth and glared in the direction of Axenus's room. "What do you care about how I am doing? I thought you hated me. You told me so the last time we saw each other," Avernus said. His eyes flashed angrily as he looked upon his brother.

"I said that out of anger, brother, I meant not to hurt you." Chester found the way Alair spoke was strange.

"I don't care. You can't take it back," Avernus hissed. He looked angry.

"I am truly sorry for what I said back then. I honestly did not mean it. We are brothers and I care a lot about you. You know I was very angry. You're angry too. Our dad is a terrible person," he said. Avernus glared at him, he looked as though he was fuming.

"Look, I don't care if you were furious. You still shouldn't have said it." He mumbled. His eyes had softened a little bit even though he was still very angry. Chester could tell that despite what his brother had said, he was still very angry.

"I have not come to fight. I have come to make amends," Alair finally said after a long moment of silence. Avernus watched him curiously.

"Amends?" He narrowed his eyes.

"I have come to ask if you would like to return home. Father feels terrible for sending you off on your own like that. He deeply regrets it," he told him, "except I don't think he is being sincere about it. He asked me to deliver the message to you though."

"I do not care if he regrets anything. Or if he wants me to come back. I am never going back. If I ever see his face again I will stab him," Avernus hissed angrily. Alair watched his brother quietly.

"I feel your anger too brother, what he did was not right and I hope that you will allow me to stay here."

Avernus scoffed, "I should have known that you wanted something. You never go anywhere without a hidden motive."

"Please brother, that place is torture. Father has been experimenting on people like us. He has been trying to take away our abilities. He wants himself to be known as the king of our kind," Alair said, looking distraught as he said this.