Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

Chester coughed as he was shoved onto the cement floor. They'd covered his head and brought him into a building. He had no idea where he was. All he knew was he almost had a panic attack while he was in the trunk of the car. He didn't do very well in small spaces. Luckily, Avernus's uncle drove like a maniac so they didn't take long to get to their destination. They uncovered his head and he blinked, his vision was blurry at first, but cleared quickly. He looked up and saw two men standing in front of him.

"Chester Verthedge, such a pleasure to finally meet you. My son doesn't have the manners to introduce you himself, so I thought I'd introduce myself to you instead." The man in the grey suit said. His hair was a sandy color that was gelled back from his face. He looked like he was in his twenties. He had a weird smile on his face that sent chills down Chester's spine. This man was Avernus's father.

"Well, aren't you going to say something boy? Or are your manners as terrible as my son's?" He narrowed his eyes. Chester cleared his throat.

"Um, nice to meet you," he mumbled. Avernus's father laughed.

"Shy, are we?" He knelt down in front of him and studied his features. Chester leaned away. He could smell blood on the man's breath.

"Hmm, he would make a beautiful creature of darkness, don't you think so Melvin?" Chester looked at the crazy psycho uncle. Melvin? Chester almost laughed. What an odd name for a crazy vampire. The man licked his lips and nodded.

"Yes, he would. Oh, but he would be exceptionally tasty too." Chester wanted to spit in their faces. He wasn't some lab rat. If they touched him with some needle he was going to end up having a panic attack. The doctors always had to cover his eyes and distract him with all kinds of stories so that they could give him his shots.

"I am not using my son's mate as a blood bag. Go feed on Matilda if you're so hungry," Mr. Valainis muttered harshly to his brother. Melvin hissed in response and disappeared into the shadows. Mr. Valainis grabbed Chester's chin and moved his head to the side so he could study him.

"Yes..." he murmured, "perfect." Chester glared at him, hatred burning in his eyes. Mr. Valainis chuckled sinisterly.

"Those eyes of yours will be breathtaking when we're done with you," he stood up and brushed his slacks off. He turned on his heel and left Chester alone on the cement floor.

He heard the sound of a door close in the distance. He sighed and looked around the room. It was dark, save for the little bit of light that streamed in through the small rectangular windows that were up so high that he had to stretch his neck a little to see them. He nearly jumped out of his shoes when he heard chains scrape against the concrete floor.

"Who's there?" He shuffled back a little. A dirty woman appeared from the shadows. Her black hair was a snarled mess and her face was caked with dirt. Her eyes were wide as she stared at him.

"You know Avernus?" She asked him. She looked desperate as she asked him.

"Yes, he's my boyfriend," Chester replied, "who are you?" The woman looked around nervously. Chester looked around too, wondering what she was looking for.

"I am his mother," she told him.

"You're human?" Chester asked. She nodded.

"Yes, but he did something to me," she replied. She caressed the scars on her skin thoughtfully.

"What do you mean?" Chester asked her. She crawled towards him, as far as her chains would allow her. She wanted to tell the boy her story. She wanted to tell him how her son had come to be and how she'd only gotten to see him once. Oh, how she would love to see her son again someday.