Chapter Six

Chapter Six:

"So, how was your library date with Avernus?" Rosa asked Chester when they got home.

"It wasn't a date. We were just hanging out as friends," he smiled, "he's going to read a book I suggested."

"Aw, that is so adorable. You're both a pair of nerds," she cooed.

"I am not a nerd. I just like to read is all," he said, glaring at her. 

She chuckled, "Whatever you say Chess. Whatever. You. Say."

He laid in bed that night thinking about how Avernus looked into his eyes. Avernus's eyes were beautiful. They were a midnight blue when they met his. It was almost like looking up at the night sky. He loved spending time with Avernus. Avernus was like a drug that Chester couldn't get enough of. They didn't exchange many words, but there was deep connection. Chester felt it. He just wondered if Avernus had felt it too.

He closed his eyes and imagined that he and Avernus were lying in a field of roses. Avernus was gazing at him as if he were the only thing that existed.

'I'll give you the world.'

---

Avernus stayed up reading the book that Chester had suggested. It was very interesting. He kept wondering if the main character was going to kill himself or not. Then, when he reached the end, the main character jumped off a bridge and his lover jumped after him. Then it was over. Avernus found himself craving more. There had to be more. What happened to their parents? Or their best friends? Who wrote a eulogy for their funerals? He wanted more.

"Dude, you look like you're going to kill someone," Axenus observed.

They were back at the apartment despite Avernus's protests. Axenus told him that sooner or later he was going to have to face his family whether he liked it or not. He kept most of his stuff in his car though. He only hoped that his uncle didn't break into his car and take his stuff. His uncle was known to do stupid things like that.

"I'm tired Axenus, I'm just going to go to bed."

"Alright, good night," he said. Axenus closed Avernus's door. He listened to his footsteps as they faded into the distance.

---

"Wake up!" Rosa jumped up and down on Chester's bed.

"Go away!" He grumbled tiredly.

"Alonzo is leaving," she said, "we have to go say goodbye."

"Tell him I said goodbye," he mumbled.

Rosa suddenly shoved Chester off of the bed. He yelped in pain when his elbow slammed into the floor.

"Tell me what the hell happened between you two," she ordered. Chester gulped.

"Nothing, why would you think that something happened," he mumbled nervously.

"You've been avoiding him ever since I went on that date with Tonio," she pointed out. Chester sighed.

"After you left for your date I told Alonzo about how Avernus asked for me to show him where books about werewolves are and he said that I should try thinking about someone else. He knew I wasn't interested in him, but he kissed me. He kept kissing me even after I tried to push him away." He told her. He avoided looking at her. He felt terrible. He must have done something to lead Alonzo on if he thought kissing him would make him like him back.

He saw Rosa's feet making their way out the door. He scrambled up off of the floor and hurried after her, "Rosa wait!" She whirled around on him.

"Do not tell me to wait! You tried to push him away, he may not have done anything but he still did something you did not like even after you resisted. That is unacceptable," she said. He swallowed. He followed her down the stairs where Alonzo stood with his luggage ready and his back slung over his shoulder.