{6}

I was dead. I was surely dead. All I could see was white, and I couldn't move. I wanted to check my heartbeat, but I couldn't, because no matter how I tried, I couldn't move. I wanted to cry. For once in my life I actually wanted to die. I wanted to be with Hollie, and grandmother. I wanted everything to be better, where I wouldn't be hurt like real life. I wanted to be where I wouldn't have to deal with these tragedies and pain. I wanted to greet death like an old friend, and be gone.

     Then I awoke with a huge breath of air. My eyes flew open and I saw my mother and father standing next to me. "Mollie!" Mother cried. She picks her head up and hugs me. "They were just about to cut the life support," father said. I though about telling them about Hollie, but I decided not to. I hug mom back.

     "You're truly lucky," the doctor told me. "I know," I tried to say, but a sharp pain ran through my neck. "Try not to talk, you have a fractured windpipe from the car crash," he says. I nod my head and lie back down in my hospital bed. I thought about what it would've been like if I had died. I could've seen Hollie, and grandmother. Everything would've been better. I wouldn't have to deal with all these tragedies.

     But then, I remembered what Hollie told me."But you promise to live your life without me? And not dwell on me or the past?" The words rang through my head as I lie on my bed. All I wanted was to see Hollie one last time, hug her one last time, and tell her how sorry I am. I just had that chance, but it didn't seem real. I sit back up as my parents walk back into the room. I grab the notepad and paper off the side table and write,

Did you guys bring Izzy?

Then I hand the note to my mom. She nods and rummages through her purse. Then she pulls out my stuffed dolphin. I grab it and squeeze it tightly. "You need some rest honey." My mom says and rubs my back. I nod and close my eyes. I tried and tried to go to sleep, but it seemed as if I couldn't. But eventually, I drifted off to sleep.

     Just as I did when I was in a coma, I woke up to a blinding white light. I immediately sit up and open my eyes. Hollie was there sitting across from me. "Mollie, you promised." She said. I open my mouth to say something, but she puts her finger over my mouth. "You can't die. You can't dwell on me and the past. You promised and I expect you to fulfill it," she says. "Are you real?" I ask. "Yes," she says. "How can I know for sure?" I ask. "You can know if you believe me," she says. "How can I believe you if I don't know if your real?" I ask.

     She sighs and smacks her forehead with her palm. "I believe you," I whisper. "Thank you," she says. "I miss you," I say. "I miss you too Mollie. But I don't want to be the reason you kill yourself, or don't live your life to the fullest. I already told you that," she says. "Okay?" She asks. She tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear, just like she used to. "Okay," I say.