Chapter 18

Recap:

We all stayed quiet for a long while till Dylan finally spoke, “Is he dead?”

“I think so,” I said with no emotion because deep down you know from all the stories and fairy tales you’ve ever read that the villain is never dead until you see a body.

Chapter 18

One month later.

I cant believe it. It’s been a month today that I escaped that horrible place, one month since I got back to my town and my home, and one month that I was allowed to stay home and not make any contact with anyone that wasn’t my closest friend or a relative and barely even then. But the last part ends today since it will be my first day back to school. To the flood of questions that they’ll no doubt ask and I’ll refuse to answer and the pitying looks from those who don’t dare ask what happened.

The official story is that I was kidnapped and held by the kidnappers till Dylan and Deven broke in and saved me, but I was never really hurt or mistreated by the kidnappers. Only me, the doctors, the cops, Dylan and Deven know the whole story, but the cops thought that this fake story would go over better then the real one so it was the one we used.

Most of the kids know that there more to the story then that though from hearing whispered conversations between parents that knew and just general assumption. Our town was pretty small so it was near impossible to keep a secret, especially one this big.

I’d been sitting in my bed the past hour, wishing with all my heart that I could just go back to sleep and never face to outside world again, when someone knocked on my door. I assumed it was Matt since he has knock on my door million times this morning yelling random threats at me trying to get me to up, so I yelled at him to go away.

Then the door opened and someone walked in that I didn’t expect, but made a wide smile appear on my face before I quickly covered it up. “Well if that’s how you feel then I guess I’ll just leave.” Dylan said in a teasing tone pretending to leave, but I quickly stopped him.

“No you can stay, I thought you were Matt coming up pester me about going to school” I tell him. He walks over and sits on the edge of my bed and smiles at me.

“Well now that you mention it you really should get up for school seeing as it starts in an hour” He joked, but I shuddered at the thought which caused a worried expression to cross his face, “Hey now, whats wrong? Why are you crying?”

“Im not crying” I stated, but as soon as the sentence came out of my mouth I put a hand up to touch my face and it came back damp from tears which only caused more to fall.

“Come here.” Dylan cooed in a soft voice and wrapped his arms around me and held me while I cried on his shoulder. Just like when I was younger and he would comfort me about my moms death and my dad leaving. “Whats wrong? What are you crying about?”

It took me a while to form the first words, but when I started they just flew from my mouth, “I don’t want to go back to school. They’ll all look at me funny and ask questions I’m not ready to answer or they’ll say there sorry about what happened and I cant tell which of those possibilities are worse, but they all scare the crap out of me. And-and-“ I took a big breth before continuing in a small voice, “And what if they’re looking for me, Evens helpers? What if they’re at the school just waiting for me to return?” Because no matter how much I tried to push that idea out of my mind it keeps coming back with a vengeance.