Chapter 8

I think I was sleeping. Was I? Could I have conscious thoughts while sleeping? I have no idea; I do not sleep ever, after all.

"Oh my god..."

Was that a voice? I had not heard a voice for a long while...

"Maria?"

That is my name! I wonder how this thing knows my name...

"Wake up, Maria. Wake up!"

Were they shaking me? I believe I lost feeling a while ago... it was so cold...

"Wake up!"

The voice started registering in my mind. I think I know them? They were shaking me rapidly.

"What have I done...?"

They sound sad. Why? I want to make them happy. Trying and failing to move, I suddenly felt frantic. Why could I not move?

"Feel the warmth? There's a fire, Maria. You loved the little fire's I made..." His voice broke. He was Herobrine. I know now. Move!

Arms wrapped around my body, and warmth started to slowly, so slowly creep back into me. Eventually I started shivering violently, which was good, as I suddenly was able to move.

Opening my eyes, the first thing I noticed was the tear-streaked face of Herobrine, who's face split into a wide grin.

"I thought you were dead..." He hugged me tightly. "And it would've been my fault."

"I..." I tried to speak for a moment. "Why would it have been your fault?"

"I abandoned you? I got so wrapped up in self-pity I almost repeated history..." He trailed off.

"Why was it cold?"

"I... I don't know," His brow furrowed. "It wasn't me, I know that."

"Well, at least it's going away now. It's getting warmer," I smiled, sitting upright.

"But why- oh!" His eyes widened. "Maria, I think it was you!"

"Me?" Puzzled, I thought over the recent events. When I felt the abandonment of Herobrine, I guess my emotions reacted and started changing the temperature.

"I- I guess every cloud has silver lining?" Herobrine rubbed the back of his neck.

"Can you bring me to the overworld?" I asked abruptly. He froze.

"I- I- I mean, if you're okay with that," I fidgeted awkwardly next to the fire.

"Yes," He relaxed. "I've wallowed enough. I deserve you a trip to the overworld at least." I brightened.

"Okay, hold tight to me," He squeezed his eyes shut and I eagerly grabbed hold of his arm. The warp to the overworld took milliseconds; we were there before I knew it.

"Look, green!" I pointed, astonished, at all of the green surrounding me. Grass, leaves, moss.

"There are so many colors!" I spun happily, grinning at the blue sky. I heard Herobrine laugh behind me, but I was too caught up to care. Glimpsing pink at the edge of my vision, I rushed towards the source.

"Is this a pig?" I approached the pink creature that was eyeing me curiously.

"Yes, Maria, that is a pig," I could tell he was containing another laugh.

"Oink?" My human ears picked up the noise, but I was too distracted by the words.

{Who are you?} The little pig asked, cocking his head.