cement

There used to be a cemetery here. Actually it's still here just not as prominent. If I were to walk to the backyard and head into the trees a little I would see large circle segment pieces implanted into the ground. There are about 15 out there and I've only read a few of what the engravings have to say. Mrs. Powet is the one who showed me them, to this day I still have no idea why she did that but, I am thankful. They are absolutely beautiful in an eery kind of way. Whenever I go there I cannot help but think of the lives those people led. Did they have family? Did they love them? How long were they here? What kind of personality did they have? Were they kind and sweet or mean and rude? I also wonder if someone my age will go out there one day and ask the these same questions about me. Who was Phoenix?

It's been a week since I saw my brother and he told me sorry. It's been a week since I saw that boy. My brother actually did stop by two days ago. We talked for about fifteen minutes and the conversation mostly consisted of strained silenced. I almost hated him for coming. Almost. Part of me was grateful for his offer and when he came back I couldn't help but smile a little after he left.

I've been sitting in my room for too long and I even skipped breakfast. It was sort of hard to get around that since they practically make you eat, but I somehow made it happen. Chances are I'll regret not eating later but for now I am content. It's 2 p.m. I look out the window and watch as dragonflies zoom back and forth, there translucent wings shimmering in the sunlight. I tear my eyes away when I hear a sound that almost seems right outside my door. I turn my attention towards the sound and see him staring at me. His face nearly devoid of any emotion there once was. I stare back.

"Hi," I say before this staring thing gets really awkward and uncomfortable.

He turns his body so it's completely facing my room, the loose curls on his head flopping up and down during the action.

"Hi," his voice is a waterfall. Soothing and alive. So very alive.

"Who are you?" I ask, not knowing what else to say.

"A visitor," he answers.

"No one visits here." No one. Everyone is just about done with us.

"Yeah, well, my friend, he got put in this place a couple weeks ago and I started visiting him last week."

"How nice," I mutter. "Why were you staring at me?"

"I don't know, same reason you were staring at me, maybe."

I don't say anything.

"So why are you here?" He looks genuinely curious. I decide to dramatize my story some, maybe scare him away or freak him out. Either way it'll probably be entertaining.

"I killed someone." I peer into his eyes, a small grin playing on my face. "And left the others begging for mercy as I watched their faces quiver in fear. They cried for help, their screams piercing the air and, what a surprise, no one came. Oh well. They weren't important anyway, just another ant on this planet. Don't you think? Too bad I got caught, right?"

He looks interested. Not scared. Not panicked. Just interested. His eyebrows raised in questioning fascination.

"Is that what happened?" He asks after a few seconds.

"More or less."

I'm actually surprised by what he does next. He sits. He sits down on the cement ground right out side by room. I shift uncomfortably.