Chapter 11

The room was white. The ceiling was high and the walls plain. It had a clean feel to it, but the atmosphere was cold and unfriendly. There were four plastic chairs fastened to the wall and the floor underneath. They were hard and uncomfortable to sit on. The room had a sort of clinical feel to it. In the middle of the room there was a glass coffee table with a glass jug full of water, and four empty glasses neatly lined up. On the other end of the coffee table was a load of different leaflets; all about sexual health, helplines, symptoms of illnesses, how to deal with sick relatives, counselling options - the normal. I wasn't reading any of them. I was staring at my hands in my lap, waiting for the woman to come and get me.

The clock on the wall read quarter to midnight, I had been here for an hour and a half, just sitting and waiting on my own in this awful room. I wondered what Luke was doing; if he was alright. I felt bad for not texting or calling him and letting him know how I was, but I had left my bag and my phone inside Gina's car. I hadn't seen much of Gina and Giulia. I knew Giulia had gone back to the Brooks' to take a shower and let the boys know how I was getting on, but it was easy to guess where Gina was. I should be with her helping out, not sitting in some dumb room all night long. I felt useless, that I should be doing something that may help, but I had been told to wait in this stupid room. Doing fuck all. I couldn't even contact any of my family to let them know what was happening. That day had gone so well, apart from me feeling like total shit for the first half of it. I'd spent most of the day with my boyfriend, bestfriend and two boys who were basically like the brothers I had always wanted. How could one event change my life forever and for the worse? How could a day go so well but end in total disaster and heart break? I wasn't sure how I'd get through this.

I put my head in my hands and began to sob - something I didn't feel I could do up until now. I had put myself off crying as I felt I physically couldn't. I felt selfish as even though my life would change more than I could ever imagine, I was the last person who should be so indulgent and selfish allowing myself to cry. I needed to be strong. I lifted my head up and wiped away my tears. I had to get a grip.