Chapter 5

Jaybird happily sighed in relief of another successful rescue mission and led the dragons to their new home with her father waiting for the newest recruits in the dragons sanctuary. They led all the dragons through a maze of different hexagonal pillars before flying into an icy haven with other dragons sleeping peacefully there while her father laid in the deepest part of the haven, in the water, resting from their recent battle. Ivory landed on Jaybird's ledge room and allowed her to climb off before flying off to meet with Starflight and talk with her about their next move and strategy. Starflight was a hybrid of a Changewing and a Razorwhip. She had the ability to become invisible with her Changewing powers and spit acid but she had the body, and the flight, of a Razorwhip.

When they had found Starflight, the poor dragon had been abandoned by her parents because of her hybrid stage. So Jaybird took her in under her wing and raised Starflight as her own making Starflight her own daughter by heart. After Ivory left, Jaybird took off her mask and put both her staff, and mask, against the wall before going down onto her bed and getting some rest. She pulled her covers over her head and closed her eyes going into a deep dreamless sleep.

~~~

Something was poking at her through her covers. Moaning, she rolled over and said "Starflight, leave me alone. I'm trying to sleep."

Princess Jaybird, you must wake up at once. We have intruders, Starflight said urgently.

"What?!" Jaybird yelled throwing back her covers and looking at Starflight with a horrified expression on her face.

"Where are they?" she asked as she frantically threw on her mask and straightened up her clothes, and her hair, before grabbing her staff and climbing onto the wide-awake Ivory.

Far east of here your highness, your father recommended you take your original posse of dragons to intercept these intruders before they reach our destination, replied Starflight as both Ivory and herself took off into the sky to meet up with the dragons Jaybird usually flies around with to search for intruders.

"Okay, thank your Starflight. Remember the drill, I take a look at these intruders from the side before coming up and distracting them to allow you guys to take these intruders and lead them far from our home," instructed Jaybird gently as they flew forwards out of the nest with the posse of dragons not far behind them.

They flew on for a while until Jaybird heard shouting from above and a grumbling dragon asking if his rider was okay. Quietly signaling to the dragons to wait, Jaybird signaled to Ivory to come up closely in order for her to hear what the rider has to say. "Don't worry bud, I am not going to let anything happen to you. I promise," she heard the rider say sincerely.

Wow, a dragon rider and a huge promise to keep, Jaybird thought to herself impressed with the rider's sincerity while securing her mask in place and standing up very carefully in the saddle and signaling to the dragons to get in position.

They quickly followed her command and flew silently high into the clouds where they won't be seen and left Ivory and Jaybird all alone gliding underneath the rider in the clouds. Signaling, with her staff, to slowly go upwards to allow Jaybird to see this rider from his left side, the dragon quietly, and quickly, complied and Jaybird came up slowly above the clouds and saw a young man in his early twenties with auburn hair, wearing strange armor, and had a peg leg on his left side. The dragon growled at them warning his rider. "Aw, come on dad! Really?!" the rider said in annoyance before sat up facing Jaybird and looked at Jaybird in shock.

From where she stood, Jaybird could see that this rider had the same forest green eyes as herself but shook it off in her mind. Feeling she had seen enough, she signaled to Ivory to glide downwards to make her disappear beneath the clouds. "Okay, no sudden moves," the rider said nervously as he waited for that mysterious person to appear.