Secrets (A Short Supernatural Story)

Secrets

I watched the young girl gaze dreamily around the room, and the shivers that coursed over me told me without question she was the one. 

The circle gathered once every lunar cycle.  Standing there in the stifling room packed full of sickeningly pleasant earth witches I couldn’t be further from home.  And yet, magic users every one, they couldn’t sense me.  My mistress was careful not to look at me while the meeting wore on.  She sat comfortably in the hardwood kitchen chair, smiling sweetly.  A composed and warm beauty, none of these others knew the deadly secrets Andrea held close to her heart.  I alone shared in her confidence.

She knew when I stood behind the young girl that she was to be the one.  Her smile twisted into something more devious.  The meeting continued but she’d gotten what she needed from her visit.

When the tiresome conversations ceased, I followed my mistress outside.  She got into her convertible and turned to face me directly.  The eyebrow raise was a question.  Was I sure?  She didn’t doubt me but was being careful.  This was not a task to be taken lightly.

I nodded.  I chose not to speak, though only she would have heard my voice.  Among magic users caution was best advised. 

She took her time, reapplying her lipstick and giving herself an approving smile before she got back out of the car.  The girl was speaking to a boy Andrea had commented on previously as ‘illegally handsome’.  I believe that means he’s not yet 18 years of age.  Yet she is very much attracted to this boy.  I do not understand the problem but she often sighs longingly as she looks upon him. 

“Hadleigh,” Andrea called, signalling the girl over. 

Hadleigh was a slip of a girl with no womanly wiles to speak of, yet she was somehow desired by many.  I didn’t see the attraction.  She had no intellect to speak of and was in possession of modest curves, barely noticeable.  “Yes, Andrea?”

“I have a favour, dear.  One of my bridesmaids pulled out at the last moment.  I’m in need of a pretty young thing to take her place.  You’re about the same size.  Would you mind, ever so much?”

Hadleigh’s eyes widened.  She was so unskilled at covering her true feelings I felt pained watching her.  Andrea would eat her alive before she knew what was happening.  Of course, that was the whole point and why she was chosen. 

“Oh…”

“It’s an honour, I know,” Andrea said, quickly allaying her fears.  Her eyes wandered to the boy, who was folding his muscular arms as he waited for her to be done with the girl he was so besotted with.  The poor fool.  “I would also be very grateful.  I could grant you access to my book of shadows.”

Hadleigh’s jaw dropped.  The half-wit really had no idea what was going on.

“I’ll have the car pick you up on Saturday morning, nine am, for hair and make-up.  All right, dear?”  She walked away before the stunned little girl could give her answer.  The decision was made and there was nothing Hadleigh could do about it.