Chapter 3

3- Wedding ring

*****

The sun felt nice on my skin and the sound of crashing waves was soothing I opened my eyes and rolled over, the sand slid out from underneath me. As Gabe walked towards me I saw light reflecting off something on his hand.

A wedding ring.

I could feel the rage and jealousy building inside of me, about to overflow. Gabriel was mine. Who took him from me? I thought he loved me, then he runs off and marries  someone else!

I jumped to my feet determined to give him a piece of my mind.

"Is there anything you'll like to tell me Gabriel?" I only used his full name when I was angry and he knew it.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" Sweetheart? A sudden thought occurred to me. I looked at my hand and there it was, a wedding ring.

How could I not remember getting married?

"No, nothing's wrong." As Gabe got closer I noticed a couple different things about him. His walk was, arrogant. The Gabe I knew was humble and kind and giving. He had this, smirk. Gabe never smirked. And his eyes, they were empty. There was no joy in them, no love in them, no mercy.

This wasn't the Gabe I knew.

"What's wrong with you Gabe?"
"Nothing's wrong."
"You're not acting like yourself."9
"I've been this way since you changed me. Aren't you happy? It's your fault I'm like this! You couldn't keep away and now I'm just as corrupt as you are! I was kicked out if heaven because of you! You couldn't control your powers! You didn't even think about how it would affect me!" He lowered his voice. "Now you're all I have left. You wanted it this way didn't you? You wanted to be the only thing that mattered to me. And you are, because you took EVERYTHING from me!"

Gabe was yelling, he never yelled at me. He got up and walked away, leaving me to stare after him.

I felt a tear run down the side of my face. I wanted to wrap my arms around him, to tell him I was sorry. But I couldn't move.

I lay back down in the sand and cried until sleep finally took me.

*****

I jolted awake, covered in sweat. I couldn't move my legs. Panic set in as I tried unsuccessfully to wriggle free. As my eyes began to adjust to the darkness and the settings around me registered in my brain, the panic eased.

I was in my bed, legs tangled in the sheets.

It was all just a bad dream.