Song of Hope - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Saturday morning, Austin and Lacey picked Sydney up from her apartment. It was a clean crisp morning and windy enough for flying kites if that was their destination. But it wasn’t. Sydney had been waiting for them so Austin would not have to get Lacey out of her car seat.

As she hopped in the car, she greeted Lacey with a big smile and extended her hand grown-up style to the little girl, “Lacey I’m so glad to finally meet you.”

“Hi Miz Sisnee, Daddy said we get our toe nails painned,” with a pause she added, “are you gonna sing for us?”

Austin took a moment to whisper an explanation, “One night I was watching you sing on YouTube and that is now Lacey’s favorite video! Just so you know, you beat out Dora and the Wiggles!”

Sydney smiled and whispered back to him, “Wow! That makes me almost famous,” then she turned towards Lacey, “yes, we are going to get them painted. What color do you want?”

“Pink.”

“That is one of my favorite colors.” Sydney smiled at the little girl. “What color do you think Daddy should get his painted?”

Lacey laughed, “Daddy’s don’t get ders painted, only Mommy’s.”

“Thank you Lacey Bean. Daddy loves you.” He looked over at Sydney with a grin on his face, “Miss Sydney was joking,” then he whispered, “she better be.”

Sydney laughed, “Your expression was worth it all,” then she turned and looked at Lacey, “Lacey, what do you want to sing?”

“Jesus Wuvs Me!” Lacey squealed!

Sydney began singing with Lacey and Austin was lost in the beauty of the moment. Sydney did have a beautiful voice, one that would win any of those make me famous quick television shows. But the way she sang with her heart was even more captivating. Even this little children’s song seemed special. Suddenly, Austin could understand why she loved her job. And Lacey, in the back seat closing her eyes to mimic Sydney was the most lovely things he had ever witnessed.

After the song, Sydney gave Austin directions, then Sydney and Lacey continued singing and then began a conversation about favorite colors and dress-up and finally ended on favorite movies as the car pulled into the parking lot.

As they arrived at the manicure salon, Austin leaned over whispered to Sydney as she was picking out a color, “Aren’t you getting your favorite color?”

“Uh no. I only get green on Saint Patrick’s day.” She said with a smile, “And not since I was twelve. But what about you big boy, are you going to get a color?”

Austin laughed, “I don’t even know if I will go through with it.” He winked, “Not sure if I am ready to give up my man card.”

“Oh, you are getting one. I made the appointment for three mani-pedi’s.”

“But, I’m having second thoughts. Maybe I should just sit over here while you girls do it.”

Sydney smiled as she decided to go with a French mani-pedi and forgo the color selection. She looped her arm through his as their manicurists waited for them and she led him to the pedicure chairs, “Hon, you can’t sit on the sidelines forever missing all the fun.”

And he did have fun. With Lacey sitting in between them giggling the entire time because she was ticklish. Austin and Sydney laughed so much by the end of the two hours that their eyes were watering and their side was hurting.

As they left, Austin had a new found love of pedicures. He enjoyed the manicure as well, but the pedicure was something he would do again and again.