-Life of the Party-

“We’re freaking lost Hayden!  Can we stop at the rest-stop?  I really gotta take a leak.”

            “Don’t listen to Kyle, we’re not lost.  Just keep going straight, HB.  This party is going to be amazing.  I’m telling you.”

Shane’s excitement wasn’t shared with the rest of the car, as I eagerly thought about the life expectancy of stained car seats.

“I’m pulling over.”

Shane sucked his teeth disappointedly, “We’re never going to actually make it there, are we?”

Tierra, tossed a glance into the back seat as the boys exited the car, “What’s so great about an outdoor rave anyway?  Aren’t raves supposed to be indoors?” 

I smirked, “We’re out pass city limits.  There are plenty of open spaces to throw a party.  I’m just not sure I’d call it a rave?”

“Then what would you call it, a Ho-down?”

It was easy for Tierra to crack jokes, but we actually were lost.  Who throws a party in the middle of nowhere anyway?  I couldn’t understand, for the life of me, why we were actually pursuing this ‘word of mouth’ party in the first place.  Shane talked the three of us into tagging along when it should have been easy for me to brush him off-I’m usually a home body. 

The sunset clocked us eagerly as we met up at my car.  Shane had done some digging and discovered that we weren’t as lost as I originally speculated.  Before long we were back on the road.  We were two miles off from where the party was taking place, so we pressed forward.  After reaching the turn-off we found ourselves driving along a dirt path towards a house that had to be at least a mile off the main road.  Shane’s excitement grew with the tempo of the music that pumped through the night air.  I had to hand it to him, after seeing the parking situation out front, this party looked pretty intense.  I did the smart thing and parked the car a few yards away from the others, thinking more so about my insurance rates verses them having a good time. 

Before I could bring the car to a complete halt, Shane and Tierra had already vacated the vehicle and made their way around back.  There was young life everywhere.  Drinks flowing, dancing, assorted clouds of smoke from various drugs of choice.  People cluttered in small hordes making out and having sex wherever they pleased.  It was chaos and Shane seemed right at home.  I sighed as Kyle accompanied me through an open side gate, his hand resting firmly on my shoulder as I dropped my keys in a punch bowl full of keys.

“We better keep up or we’ll never be able to find them in this mess.”

I nodded, “This isn’t a party.”

He smirked, “Tell me about it.  I rather be at your place watching a movie or something.”

I had known Shane and Kyle for years, and Tierra was a childhood friend, so we were all pretty close knit.  Us being together felt like an oddity in itself or a story book friendship.  As if we had become the perfect set of friends.       

     The dance floor was a cauldron of adolescent lust, and misconstrued desires.  It wasn’t a surprise that Shane appeared from nowhere to drag me kicking into the belly of the madness-his hands longing to feel the swaying of my hips.  He pulled me close.  The bass was so loud my body could do nothing but move.  Pounding.  Pulsating.  Thumping.  We clung to each other as if we feared being swept away by the noise and confusion.  I’ll never forget the look of lust in his eyes.  His desires boldly stood on the surface.  I fought to keep my inner feelings at bay-that is until he swung me around.  We were back to chest, grinding to the same technotic noise.  I felt more than just his intentions as he tossed my swaying hair over my left shoulder.  I could feel his lips at the base of my right ear.  Nibbling.  Chills danced down my thighs as he gripped me just beneath my underwire-his other hand launching my arm over the back of his head.  Shane was always wild.  Never caring much about who knew his intentions for me he always pursued his feelings, but never really sealed the deal.  I’ve always been this home-body, and my choice of men reflected my decisions.  I guess inside I wanted to cut lose.  Shane.

A few hours into the party I had grown tired of the chaos.  Tierra found me as I stumbled upon Shane kissing some goth girl with huge boobs and an equally huge gut.  Kyle was stoned lying in the dirt next to a tree on the side of the house.  I had had a few but stuck around long enough to sweat and sober up.  As I pulled my keys from the sea of keys, we managed to drag the boys back to the car and hit the road.  Needless to say, we found the party.        

   It was 4am and the drive home was a somber one.  Shane was wasted.  Kyle was eating everything not nailed down and my navigator, Tierra, was asleep.  So it was just me driving alone with my own thoughts.  Not a safe combination.  We entered into city limits which brought every traffic light known to man.  I was headed for Tierra’s place but for the life of me I couldn’t remember where she lived so I opted to drop Shane off first.  The light ahead of me was green, so as I pull through the enter section-headlights.